Very cheeky but

vanucci

fallong in to the hype of Black Friday and cyber Monday and myself being a new consumer of XF , is it known if any developers get involved in the sales for their addons etc ?

We will be for hosting for sure, for Cyber Monday... I just might put up a Black Friday deal as well.. Just have to keep an eye out for it ;)

I'm personally not doing any sales for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. In my opinion, it is pointless in a market such as this. The concept works for retailers moving out the current years models and trying to push product that isn't moving. These products will typically lose value in coming months as newer models come out, or they've already lost value. There's other cases where they'll reduce their margin on something like the Amazon Echo which isn't going to lose value but can potentially lead to accessory sales.

This concept doesn't work here, in my opinion, because my add-ons (for example) have the same value today that they did yesterday. They'll also have the same value next month or year as they do now. Hmm, on second thought, maybe they won't, maybe the value will go up (though the price will likely stay the same). :)

We're doing one a small one but it's not much, then again we never really do sales ourselves.

As for Black Friday and these "deals" where you see a 55 inch TV for $250 well... that to me comes down to you get what you pay for.

General consensus is no then.

Made some great points Daniel.

Some retailers see it as a push promotion for their products too. It's not just about devalue.

Company I work for is mass media. Some reason they're getting involved in it. Yet their product never changes really.

Either way thanks for the input.

General consensus is no then.

Made some great points Daniel.

Some retailers see it as a push promotion for their products too. It's not just about devalue.

Company I work for is mass media. Some reason they're getting involved in it. Yet their product never changes really.

Either way thanks for the input.

I wouldn't say it's a general no, the days of self-promoting are somewhat gone on XenForo. No more profile sidebar posts spamming every year, you're not allowed to put in a temporary sale on your resource title and a few other things. This is a good thing just to note :D. I'd just contact the author of a plugin/style your interested in to see if they do have something going on.

We are ourselves going to do a special offer for Black Friday starting in a few hours, until sunday evening, 20% off.

In my original statment, this kind of falls into the amazon echo/accessories thing. You're hoping for customer retention, they come because of the sale but stay once they realize your services. This doesn't quite work for me because of limited products and the only recurring fee is a year away.

I used to do these types of sales, a year ago actually I was doing then every holiday. I noticed that people would just wait for the next holiday and not buy anything in between.

There's definitely businesses where it makes sense to do these sales. I'm not knocking them at all. I like participating as a consumer though ;)

I have to disagree, our sale last year went very well. I sold more VPS's that weekend (93% a year later are still customers) then almost rest of the year combined.. Sure we haven't had a website selling it all year, but still as we always gotten most of our business via word of mouth or my sig. Many of the orders were from members that been here and known me for a while too and I guess finally decided to take the leap to us from the great offer we had and promised to continue that rate as long as they remain active with payments. Several have also signed up for additional services since then at full price including additional VPS's or upgrades to more resources at the full price value difference between the packages. Also this now lead to more customers recommending us to others, leading to more signups in 2015 then we had in 2014.. So for me, I feel the sale was worth it.

I have to disagree, our sale last year went very well. I sold more VPS's that weekend (93% a year later are still customers) then almost rest of the year combined.. Sure we haven't had a website selling it all year, but still as we always gotten most of our business via word of mouth or my sig. Many of the orders were from members that been here and known me for a while too and I guess finally decided to take the leap to us from the great offer we had and promised to continue that rate as long as they remain active with payments. Several have also signed up for additional services since then at full price including additional VPS's or upgrades to more resources at the full price value difference between the packages. Also this now lead to more customers recommending us to others, leading to more signups in 2015 then we had in 2014.. So for me, I feel the sale was worth it.
You do VPS/web hosting. Different to add-ons.

I share a similar opinion to Daniel Hood. I mean, I don't *mind* a sale. I could do one now and it wouldn't affect me too much. I just don't think it's a XenForo thing to do. Software isn't really one of the things you put on sale. Maybe to make it more accessible in a product decline when it's dying, but at the end of the day, that'll only happen if mostly everyone on XF with even remote interest in it has bought it. XenForo add-ons fall out of the whole business model quite a lot, they don't have 'product stages' either, as my previous example said.

I suppose a sale would allow you to try out new add-ons at less of a risk though. I'm just not sure, personally. I do know I will be grabbing a TV in the sale drops, but I'm skeptical on whether or not I'm going to get given a buggy, broken TV. I paid £400 (~$620 guess) for a 38 inch TV a few years ago... Well, quite a few years ago when it was mostly the big fat TVs around. My TV is pending quite an upgrade. I'm thinking 58 inches will last me a while until we got 78 inch TVs being the norm. Probably looking into 4k too ;) 3D is junk, my house isn't a cinema. It's a house... Party time, but first, everyone get your glasses on! :)

You're hoping for customer retention, they come because of the sale but stay once they realize your services. This doesn't quite work for me because of limited products and the only recurring fee is a year away.

This is actually my point. It works in some industries but not others. You do the sale hoping for retention and to entice people from competitors. My add ons don't have much competition, so the enticement is a non factor. If there was a bigger market and a few versions of similar add ons to mine it might be different.

There's just some businesses I don't think it works. It's a fantastic chance to lure new clients for a subscription service or move old product, for sure.

I'm doing a 25% discount, mainly to get a few more purchases in the run up to Christmas (I'm [trying] to save)...

Details are in my signature. I normally state these in a profile post, but that was banned for some stupid reason...:rolleyes:

Liam

I'll be holding a Black Friday sale on Saturday. The criteria to qualify for this event is to be an overweight idiotic American who is quite prepared to stampede and/or crush anyone that gets in their way. Stealing off kids who happen to have picked that item you wanted and never needed gets you bonus discounts points, upto 90%.

I'll be holding a Black Friday sale on Saturday. The criteria to qualify for this event is to be an overweight idiotic American who is quite prepared to stampede and/or crush anyone that gets in their way. Stealing off kids who happen to have picked that item you wanted and never needed gets you bonus discounts points, upto 90%.

12278700_10153712731444898_1574141522897497662_n.webp

The 'typical' Black Friday shopper isn't overweight.

(They'd be too slow to run when the stores open and get tired of standing in the lines.)

Top Bottom