Very cheeky but

This concept doesn't work here, in my opinion, because my add-ons (for example) have the same value today that they did yesterday. They'll also have the same value next month or year as they do now.
Until another developer releases an add-on with better/more, same, or similar functionality at a lower price. The value of your add-on, to a customer, drops.

Until another developer releases an add-on with better/more, same, or similar functionality at a lower price. The value of your add-on, to a customer, drops.
I understand how competition works. I wasn't attempting to imply that my add-ons can't or won't have competition. I'm simply saying a sale doesn't solve that in this business. Either I'd have to keep the price the same as theirs (or lower), increase the features or functionality, or the sale is a very short term solution. It's not like a physical item where a new model is going to come out next year which reduces the value, it's not like a subscription service where I can recoup the value of the discount in upcoming months with customer retention, it's not like it's a service and I'm trying to lure customers from my competition. That was my main/only point.

Normally and I could be wrong a few of the devs will hold sales out of loyalty to their customer base, Bob the developer of the showcase add-on comes to mind who held quite a few sales and a lifetime sale of updates which I purchased for his showcase mod. The way I see it if you don't ask, you don't get. Some will offer discounts, many won't (nothing wrong with that) if your confident in your product that it retains it's value then that is fine. Not forgetting, and I can understand this that the developer not only would discount the product they are also discounting the service they provide in the way of updates/support which is where the time consuming work is.

But like I said there's no harm in asking, I personally wouldn't because I think many of the add-ons are already at black friday discount prices and way under valued. Featured threads for one, Showcase, Chris's notifications and many others. Look around and think for a moment when you see the price of add-ons and what you are getting and you'll find that for the most part it's Black friday everyday unless you're one of those tight arsed people that hate paying for anything. But that is just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree but I've always thought the developers of these add-ons always under-priced their products.

On goes the flak jacket.

Featured threads for one, Showcase, Chris's notifications and many others. Look around and think for a moment when you see the price of add-ons and what you are getting and you'll find that for the most part it's Black friday everyday unless you're one of those tight arsed people that hate paying for anything. But that is just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree but I've always thought the developers of these add-ons always under-priced their products.

My opinion is different. Featured Threads imo is fairly priced - I don't think its lower priced. Any sophisticated well coded addon that is 40% of the forum software's price is well priced. Thats how I feel.

But yeah, black friday deals are not suited to the addons market.

I'm a bit thrifty, but its also down to what i can afford at the time. I believe 95% of the addons are priced right, some are also under and some are over. Totally agree its down to the developer to choose whether to participate or not.

My opinion is different. Featured Threads imo is fairly priced - I don't think its lower priced. Any sophisticated well coded addon that is 40% of the forum software's price is well priced. Thats how I feel.
If anything that would lead some to think that XF is underpriced, not that certain add-ons are overpriced.

If anything that would lead some to think that XF is underpriced, not that certain add-ons are overpriced.
Its refreshing to see such members. Maybe Addon developers should have 2 sets of prices. One as default and higher one for the special members like @Kevin :) Just to keep everyone happy!

First of all prices are relevant to many things...they are not calculated by the magical price fairy nor do they burst into existence in defiance of the laws of physics.

They come down to a few things including:
  1. Investments in time and resources for creation
  2. Future time projected for support/maintenance
  3. Consumer base exposure
  4. Marketing strategy
  5. Market value

The one to pay attention to here is consumer base, XF has the whole of the capable minded internet usership as potential customers, while an addon developer only has the potential to make sales to those who are already license holders of XenForo.

This drives the cost of their work up as the cost and profit margin needs to covered by a small slice of an already small slice of people and as Kevin pointed out this becomes visible because of the low price XF goes for.

At the end of the day if you want something completely custom that no one else can get, you are going to pay a ton of money.

If you commission something while paying less than rate and the rest of profit for the developer is going to be based on other sales of that product to the sub-usership that number has to be based on how much needs to be made and how many people are projected to buy it and not how much the original work you are modifying/adding on to costed you because that is how a developer needs to calculate things in order to run a sustainable model.

As far as sales, rebates, promos...some developers simply have the ability or the necessity to roll sales into their model.

It just is what it is, and it is business.

Anyone else find the thread title amusing?

"Very cheeky but(t)"

:D

No? Just me then :whistle:

I have actually wondered, why the English have surnames like "Butt", although Pakistanis having such surnames is understandable - ex Salman Butt.

Top Bottom