Lack of interest Verify common email domains at the time of sign-up

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

TheBigK

Typos are common and I think it'd be great if Xenforo can verify typos in most used domains viz. gmail, outlook, yahoo et al. when the user is filling the 'email ID' field of the sign-up form.

I noticed that several bounced emails are simple typos. That is typing '@gamil.com' instead of '@gmail.com' or typing '@yhaoo.com' instead of '@yahoo.com'. XF should make a smart guess and simply alert the user saying 'Did you mean .... '.

I hope this suggestion will be considered in upcoming updates :)

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Sounds like a little much fuzzy logic and micromanagement :)

If you have email validation on, the email will never arrive anyway, and the user can always edit the email

Sounds like a little much fuzzy logic and micromanagement :)

If you have email validation on, the email will never arrive anyway, and the user can always edit the email
Well, it indeed is micromanagement; but very useful one. There are several users on our site who've registered using incorrect domain and never received any email. They simply didn't bother to edit their account information and activate their accounts.

I'm sure this isn't a big programming challenge; but it'd definitely make things easier for people.

I would be quite annoyed if I owned gamil.com and couldn't register on any forum as myname@gamil.com

That certainly shouldn't be resolved with auto correct in the core. "smart" computer thinks it knows best is not always correct.
There are no incorrect spellings errors when it comes domain names, if that domain exists. A site could exist such as homail.com or gamil.com and they will have their own mail servers

... may be a prompt would work better for suspect typos (but not an auto correct)

@tenants - The idea is not to prevent users from signing up if they enter 'gamil.com'. But the system should alert the user of possible correction. I'm quite sure the number of people using 'gmail.com' as valid email address, interested in registering on my or your forum is a tiny little fraction of the users with 'gmail.com' address and interested in joining the forum.

What would be great is if it checked if the domain existed. Like our billing software WHMCS, if you go to order hosting with us, when you fill out your domain field, it checks to insure the domain is registered before moving onto the next order step.

What would be great is if it checked if the domain existed. Like our billing software WHMCS, if you go to order hosting with us, when you fill out your domain field, it checks to insure the domain is registered before moving onto the next order step.
Since gamil.com does exist, I am not sure how good that would be :)

A WHOIS API is what WHMCS uses as WHMCS doesn't check MX or any DNS zones for that matter, just if the domain is registered or not