vBulletin pirate sites hit by hackers

All this pirated stuff is really quite rampant and has certainly hit XenForo add-on makers, square in the jaw. If you like XenForo as a platform and enjoy using this software then why would you do something that pretty much ensures that any worth while add-on will no longer be shared, be it paid or free, with the community. When I see my hard work being given away as someone else’s it pushes me that much closer to never releasing another add-on. That does not mean I will not make any for my own use, it just means that I will no longer bother to share it with you. You are not stealing from some mega corporation here, but rather quite sadly you are stealing from individuals!

It is one thing to re-release free add-ons (occasionally claiming it as their own), but it is something entirely else when the following happens with paid ones:

- Some purchase one copy and then use it on all 5 of their websites
- Some collect money from a small group in order to purchase one copy and then share it amongst themselves
- Some want it for half price while at the same time posting on the null sites trying to get it for free
- Some demand you give them an add-on for free
- Some purchase it just so they can give it away for free on those sites as they think it makes them important

You all know who you are ;)
Whatever the reasons are, the whole community suffers, and as it stands I think this community is already fragile enough.

I think this is more something you have to accept and deal with as a software developer... just as Microsoft, Adobe and all other software developers deal with to some degree with paid software.

I completely agree that it is wrong... yet there is always some oxymoron with the belief everything should be freely available online.

Quite honestly I do not believe it to be wrong if one or more said developers develop something to run against their pirated website in order to crash it / make it useless to use. Sometimes you have to fight issues with the same tactics. They steal from you, you target their actions directly.

I think this is more something you have to accept and deal with as a software developer... just as Microsoft, Adobe and all other software developers deal with to some degree with paid software.
I know what you mean but comparing XenForo to Microsoft or Adobe just does not compute.
If Microsoft lost more than X% of their sales to illegal copies then Windows would either cost you $10,000 a copy or you would have to provide a blood sample every time you turned on your computer as proof of purchase.

you would have to provide a blood sample every time you turned on your computer as proof of purchase.
You nearly do with both Microsoft and Adobe software. They are both quite sophisticated now in identifying fraudulent software.

Not comparing them, but more stating the obvious about the size of the issue. The size of the companies product tends to scale the size of the issue... of which Xenforo is a blip on the radar for fraudulent activity compared to the later two.

Regardless off... IMHO, if you know how to screw with a website by bombarding it with traffic to overload, then if they're doing illegal stuff, they kind of have it coming IMO versus spite for a personal disagreement.

It's the "Occupy Wall Street" mentality that infects all levels of society...the mentality that says "I want it, therefore that is all the justification I need for taking it...after all, the rich man/company that produced it can afford it anyways". .

Wow, John, you gotta relocate! The 24/7 Southern Man talk is really getting to you....

I've checked out those pirate sites and the vibe I get is a bunch of kids or teens having some fun.........I really doubt the Move0n founder, an internet and computer MILLIONAIRE, is leading a liberal movement to pirate stuff.

I'm reading a couple books about kids growing up in NYC 50 years ago. They all stole stuff from the stores every chance they got. It's a rite of passage to some degree. Heck, I once stole some candy bars from the Village Pantry!

These guys were well known for theft of services from the big Rich Men John is referring to...and, come to think of it, they do look like OWS hippies....
In fact, this pic shows them with their pirated software thingy.....
jobs_wozniak_bluebox.jpg

There is nothing to understand because that is not justifiable. If someone wants to try out a paid software then they can do it at the demo installation which is for just that purpose. It is the same thing like say you want to buy a car. You go to the legitimate dealership and take it on a test drive before you purchase it. You don''t buy a stolen car which is very illegal and very wrong. At least that is how I see it.
That's your opinion and I respect it. I don't agree though. Demos are not always provided. If my friend bought something and I thought it was cool and I might be able to use it, I would be tempted to buy it. If that friend let me use it and play around with it, then my experience with that product will help me choose to buy it or not. This happens all the time in real life. Piracy is a little similar but the dark-side version of that concept. If that person who tried his 'friends' product which ain't really his friend but some dude who uploaded the product and then used that product for his own site without paying for it, then in my opinion that's when it's wrong.

Although it's a subject for another thread, what do you think it's about, then?

Let me start off by saying that I'm not an American and I have not followed the Occupy Wall street proceedings closely. It was however my impression that the protest was about rich people / companies not paying an equal percentage of their income to the state and about getting rid of all the corruption that has led to this. I'm sure that as things went along this original goal may have been diluted down by many to "give me free stuff!" (or maybe that's just how some see the protest?), but from what I've read about it I get the impression that this is not what it was about at all.

I can honestly tell you, If I work hard for my money, there is no way in hell I am going to give it to someone who didn't work for it. I would rather take a bullet (in the arm, or possibly the leg :P) than give it to someone who doesn't work their ass off for it.

Let me start off by saying that I'm not an American and I have not followed the Occupy Wall street proceedings closely. It was however my impression that the protest was about rich people / companies not paying an equal percentage of their income to the state and about getting rid of all the corruption that has led to this. I'm sure that as things went along this original goal may have been diluted down by many to "give me free stuff!" (or maybe that's just how some see the protest?), but from what I've read about it I get the impression that this is not what it was about at all.

Occupy Wall Street has been a disastor. I'm surprised you haven't heard more about them. They started out as a political movement, turned into a domestic menace, evolved into an angry mob, and then went the path of domestic terrorism. They seem to think violence and crime is the correct way to put an opinion out. Vandalism, rape, trespassing, assault on police officers, there we're a few murders in the OWS camps - the lists are endless. Then a few months ago a couple of their leaders we're caught by the FBI plotting to blow up a bridge in Ohio. As they stand now they are (mostly) a dead movement.

They we're funded by unions who supplied paid protesters, backed by the Communist Party of the USA, the Neo-Nazi's endorsed them and sent men out to patrol the camps with automatic weapons, celebrities came out to support them (ironically the same 1% they claim to be enemies to), and they we're wholly accepted by the democratic party even while committing crimes - although that ended after they became a public menace and we're all evicted from their jerry rigged camps in public parks (making said public parks unusable...for the public they we're meant for).

However...yes Entitlement is what they stood for. Which is why "get a job" became a slogan to bust on OWS. Most of OWS we're people who couldn't be bothered to seek jobs - they just wanted freebies.

Here's a great list of their crimes.

This was a big political topic and I followed it closely ;)

However...yes Entitlement is what they stood for. Which is why "get a job" became a slogan to bust on OWS. Most of OWS we're people who couldn't be bothered to seek jobs - they just wanted freebies.

Here's a great list of their crimes.

This was a big political topic and I followed it closely ;)

The fact that you read Breitbart is telling!

Since you like to list the "crimes" of large groups of people, why not list out the crimes of, for instance, the very Wall Street people they were protesting about? Oh, I understand...that ranges in the trillions of dollars and we would not want to group people together like that....eh?

OWS, I will agree, was a poor attempt at unorganized protest. I called it from the first day. The story of humankind, and therefore politics, is that organization ALWAYS trumps everything else. It takes no prisoners nor does it care whether the idea or ideals are righteous. Many millions of years ago, our ancestors discovered this and, since that time, the "tribe" has prevailed.

OWS, IMHO, is a great lesson in why having a plan trumps just about ANY anarchy. Period. However, many of their core ideals were blessed and backed by even many of the Wall Street titans themselves (I saw interviews with some big wall street types who said they had a point).

They still went to terrorism....regardless of Breitbart....and that was reported on every MSM and even locked my damn military base down. Unorganized? Please. Criminal....oh hell yes.

Also...Breitbart or not...that document is extremely detailed, extremely well cited, and your evasion of it shows you can't defend against it.

//this why politics should not be on Xen. Just saying. Not gonna continue being nice forever.

They still went to terrorism....regardless of Breitbart....and that was reported on every MSM and even locked my damn military base down. Unorganized? Please. Criminal....oh hell yes.

//this why politics should not be on Xen. Just saying. Not gonna continue being nice forever.

I agree. You should tell John to stop misinterpreting every story for some kind of Welfare Queen Big Government plot!

;)

Getting a bit back onto the subject, does anyone remember Napster? Limewire?

It's my take that a vast percentage of "regular" working people stole music. Am I wrong?

In many ways, the Open Source movement is a "legal" attempt to put many of the same ideals into practice. Some people feel that information, to a certain extent, should be free or otherwise available to all.

I'm a centrist in these matters. I have always paid for my software and have no problem doing so...and yet I (we) use PHP, Apache, Linux and all the other "free stuff" to MAKE MONEY. It's all good.

I think attempts to put hackers in a box are fruitless. In fact, it could be argued that hackers created much (most?) of the good stuff we all enjoy. It's a natural curiosity which can, after the perp grows up, change the world...as is evident in the case of Woz and Jobs.

(oh, as an admission of guilt, I have used napster and limewire.....however, a good percentage of the stuff I snatched was stuff I had already bought at some time in my life - old records, etc.)

They still had to suffer. Regardless of what they did to get there or who they are, they still did not deserve it.

I think you need to realign your moral compass, cause it sounds like perfect justice to me. They didn't loose a limb or something, their server got hacked, that's all. It's certainly not nearly as impactful to them as the damage they have done to the countless developers whose work they've supplied pirated of.

Top Bottom