XF 2.1 vBulletin 4, vbSEO, redirects, htaccess

WLF

This weekend I've taken the step to migrate from vBulletin 4.2.1 to the latest Xenforo 2.1 update. The import was smooth and it looks like pretty much everything has come across as expected.

The one issue remains with the vBulletin redirects add-on. I've set the redirects table and attempted a build of redirects, but looking at an old link to the vBulletin forum nothing seems to be happening.

I did use vbSEO, which gave me this type of URL:

Therefore, I'm assuming the redirect only works for bog standard vBulletin URLs.

I understand I would have to perhaps edit .htaccess file to correct this. If so, any suggestions on what to put in as .htaccess and all that RegEx stuff confuses me.

So I think that the best thing you can do is to read all the post stay in the thread of that addon and ask also in that thread that is more specific for your problem, because the normal links are redirected good with that plugin, but it must be configured well. ;)

So I think that the best thing you can do is to read all the post stay in the thread of that addon and ask also in that thread that is more specific for your problem, because the normal links are redirected good with that plugin, but it must be configured well. ;)

Thanks Mark, I'll ask in that thread. It's a bit of a shame that XenForo don't make it easy for people moving over from vBulletin/vbSEO considering its extensive use over the years :(

Yes my friend, sure they should take care about it. Especially on this thing because is the first thing that their new customers are involved.
Yes I'm a tad surprised given I would have thought hundreds, if not thousands would have migrated with vbseo and wanted to ensure broken links don't occur. Hoping someone will have some idea how to make it work.

Yes, there was is no way to redirect vbSEO links directly. vbSEO hasn't been supported in over 7 years and even at the time had security vulnerabilities, so you should at least be happy to be moving away from it.

No, why is this such a problem? There was an addon for XF1.5 that worked. Some people have forums that are 10+ years old and made the move to XF ~5 years ago. There are legacy links within old posts that need to continue to work. There are far too many to manually start fixing or redirect to home page. Is there really no link redirect support for a forum that started at vB3+vbSEO many years ago?

Top Bottom