Vbseo url structure in Xenforo: possible or not?

I don't understand this choice...I think this a little illogical...I understand that with a unique id it's easy to find a discussion, but a hierarcical thread type it's more ordinated IMHO.

To be honest with you, what's so special about the /fXX/ part or any of the vBSEO URLs? If it redirects to the xenForo URLs, then what would it matter?

The difference is that i would to have a hierarcical structure, when i link a thread in the forum of clan A, it see in the url the forum name of this clan...etc. for the clan B, C. With this every clan it feel more indipendend and separate from the others.

p.s. vbseo it's only an example of what i mean. ;-)

I totally agree with Max. Our forum deals with multiple years and models of cars and the url structure helps with usability and, most importantly, SEO results. If the thread title does not include a keyword for that auto model then the url does contain it.

I wish this would be user-customizable.

The difference is that i would to have a hierarcical structure, when i link a thread in the forum of clan A, it see in the url the forum name of this clan...etc. for the clan B, C. With this every clan it feel more indipendend and separate from the others.

p.s. vbseo it's only an example of what i mean. ;-)

But I mean URL structure has been losing its relevance and will continue to head that direction. Even then, why do you have to emulate theirs? All you need is a "clean" URL (which xenForo already has), and rewrites have a waning effect on SEO. There's other things that are important to good SEO (such as rel="canonical", robots.txt, etc.) and those are much more important than the URL.

But I mean URL structure has been losing its relevance and will continue to head that direction. Even then, why do you have to emulate theirs? All you need is a "clean" URL (which xenForo already has), and rewrites have a waning effect on SEO. There's other things that are important to good SEO (such as rel="canonical", robots.txt, etc.) and those are much more important than the URL.

Please read my previous posts...i not talking about seo problems, but for the need of a "folder url" for organization of my community. I have various blogs in my website organizated like this:
site.com/clana
site.com/clanb

And i like to have the same structure for the url in the forum. That is my question.

Sorry for bumping this topic, i really like Xenforo (and uasterday buyed a license), but there are not a system for doing this urls? I have 2 expert php coders that can help me for modify this, i ask just a indication for doing that if there are possible...

I see that in this forum: http://techforum.it/UAGMF, the webmaster have modified the url structure...it's possible to modify this for having a full url structure?

I don't simply want to bump this topic, but when my project progress i see that i have many other reasons to want a full url seo structure...

1) My programmer work on a custom cms based on Xenforo db and userbase. Now, when a user post an article in the cms this article is linked in a topic. The replies in this topics becomes comments in the article. This solution is implemented in many websites, with success. There are only a problem: the duplication of the contest (same content in the comments of the article and the replies in the post that links the article). Bad for google. I find that the solution is to set the robots.txt for disabling the indexing of the forums that are simply links on our articles...but this is impossible with the current url structure (with the full url is simple: disable indexing of a directory...)...

2) I have in my forum sections against the adsense tos (about discussions on poker/gambling). With a full url is more simple to separate each forum in my community...

Now with experience i can confirm that the current url system is very limited. :-)

The main problem is that you can't disable the index in a elegant way a single forum. You can disable the access of guest, but is very insufficient. With a "full url" structure you can simple set robots.txt to "noindex, follow". With this the single forum doesn't index, but the Pagerank will go and is good when this forum was in the past indexed. This is great when you see that the forum is penalized in the serp and you want to adjust some points...(example too spam topics, excessive use of tags or copied content etc.). But the main problem is you want to import data from a old BIG forum not indexed. Many seo suggest to "mitigate" the swith with offering to the bots just a bit of data...a bit today, a bit tomorrow, because can be considered not normal for a bot to index "big" website that yasterday doesen't exist. You remember? Panda update? Content farm? You understood what is the problem? Now with a full url is easy to not index a single forum, and to index what you want in the time you want.

I hope that the devs will consider the option to add the possibility for have full url, or a generous person to do an addon. But i think that this option should be in the core. :-)

The "next year" is not very promising...Anyway, i don't need a full overpriced seo addon that have the majority of features totally useless today. I need only "full url". Also, i think xenforo don't need vbseo. Imho.

I can see the value in having this option available.

If this thread was used in the structure you are requesting the URL would be: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/Public Forums/XenForo Pre-Sales and Feedback/vbseo-url-structure-in-xenforo-possible-or-not.12949/

XF already has the "URL portion" field for each node, so the structure can easily be made into something like: xenforo.com/community/threads/Public/Pre-Sales/vbseo-url-structure-in-xenforo-possible-or-not.12949/

Thread linking logic can still remain the same. After tracing the URL down to the /threads/ point, move to the end of the URL, find the thread id, and link.

The logic would be use the base URL http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ and then add each node.

Top Bottom