1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vb5 Importer?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by tonmo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

I really tried. I know I'm very late to the party... As time goes on I imagine a vb5 importer would make more and more sense for xenforo. What is the current take on this? Anything exist, or in the works? Hoping yes......

Digital Doctor likes this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is currently no vB5 importer, neither official nor third party.

3. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

4. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

...not going to give up though... I'll report back on this thread when I make something work.

5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

any chance you can provide people here with sample data (not real data) so some of us could hack an importer on our spare time?

6. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I wonder if vB5 to vB4 to XF might be the easiest route ?

7. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

I'm open to a vb5 > vb4 > XF migration path, but I saw one thread that says downgrading is absolutely not possible (perhaps for this reason). Others may have figured that out, though.

I'm not sure what kind of sample data would be OK to share online; but I'd welcome any support.

8. Digital Doctor

Yea. I read that one as well.

9. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

I think I have my old vb4 database... I upgraded to vb5 in June, I believe. I guess I could import the old sql into an instance of vb4, then try to convert? I will miss a few months of posts which would stink, but my site is 10 years old, it may be worth the hit. Will give that some thought and open to other viable ideas, here or privately.

10. Digital Doctor

Maybe @Jake Bunce could help.
    He probably won't be cheap !

tonmo likes this.
  11. Digital Doctor

tonmo likes this.
  12. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

Thanks boss! There is hope!

13. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

Digital Doctor likes this.
  14. Digital Jedi

Digital Jedi Well-Known Member

I don't think vB 5 to 4 is possible, short of a third party service like the one' mentioned. But I have heard of migration to one of the free boards and then to xF. But just anecdotally at this point.

15. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

Agree, downgrading from vb5 to vb4 is not supported by vb, so it would be a third-party job in any case. I'm fairly determined, so will let you all know the path I take here in this thread. Thanks!

16. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

All, I'm happy to share that @Claudio, along with my staff member @DWhatley, successfully migrated off the terrible vb5 platform and onto Xenforo. It wasn't easy and took some creativity, but we got it done, and my site is better than ever. Worth the sweat. Thanks to Claudio and D for the faith and follow-through!! And thanks to all here for the support. (y)

17. Ryan_

Ryan_ Active Member

Welcome to XenForo! You'll love it like the rest of us do. ;)