vb4 to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonUrban

I have a 15 year old vB4 Forum (quadraphonicquad) that I am seriously considering upgrading to XenForo. I have a few questions:

1) Since 2.x just came out, would I be better, or is it possible, to upgrade to 1.x first, then upgrade to 2.x?
2) How difficult is the conversion. I am not a web expert, I know just enough to keep the forum running.
3) The forum is hosted by URLJet and I checked with them and they do support XenForo
4) I have only heard good things about XenForo and not so good things with vB (I actually bought vB5 but never used it because of all of the bad reviews)

Can you fill me in on what I would need to do, and the best way to go about it? The forum is a small usage forum, the number of active members is less than 500, although there are probably 3000+ registered members. It was a vB3 forum and at one time did have the home page option, but that is no longer used.

Thanks in advance!

:-jon

Will do.

Well, I somehow managed to stumble around and actually get the environment AND the software installed and running on my laptop!! Thanks to your help and some Google'ing. Very cool.

So let me ask you another question: Is it possible to back up my vB4 forum and copy it to my localhost, then import it into this empty XenForo?

If you guys have the time, maybe you can answer a question for me.

I have XenForo running on my laptop without issue. I used the MAMP as you suggested and am getting familiar with the landscape. I backed up my vB4 Forum Directory and moved it to the MAMP/htdocs folder, and I backed up my web based vB4 forum database and after a few tries I got it imported on the MAMP MySQL server without errors. My intention was to play around with the import function and see how my forum transferred into XenForo.

However I have an odd issue that might not even matter. When I attempt to run the vB4 by accessing the same way I access my local XenForo software (localhost/forum/ or localhost/forum/forum.php or localhost/forum/index.php) I get a blank webpage, no errors, just a white clean page. Oddly enough, if I attempt to access the mod or admin page, I get a login screen, but once I login, I get another blank white page.

So, obviously I have something wrong. I went through my config.php file countless times and see nothing wrong. But does it matter?

Can I do the import without having the vB4 fully operational as long as the files and database are where they should be?

Thanks

You will need to associate your forum user name with your license and post in the customer support forums for any further assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom