• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

vB4 Importer: How do you want it to work?

Jeremy

in memoriam 1991-2020
I'm bashing ideas off of some people and have questions on how you want things to work.

CMS articles: do you want them imported as threads (prefixed?) or do you want them imported into a page/node structure?

Albums: How would you like them imported? Threads with comments as replies? Serialized for later import to a suitable alternative?

Social Groups: How would you like them imported?

What other features would you like?

That's all for now.

One request that's popular with our forum members: retaining thread/forum ID #'s.
(create/delete dummy accounts or threads for ID's you need to skip?)

Not sure about CMS articles in threads vs pages/nodes, which intrigues me greatly.

I really like the auto-import for user blogs into LN Blog. Saves everyone a few steps!

One request that's popular with our forum members: retaining thread/forum ID #'s.

Yes, I have big problems with redirections from vb4>xf. It seems postid anchors are not possible to keep at all which makes my whole migration-process to xenforo a nothing until I have figured that out.

CMS articles: do you want them imported as threads (prefixed?) or do you want them imported into a page/node structure?
Not sure about CMS articles in threads vs pages/nodes, which intrigues me greatly.
If you imported them as threads, you could use Jaxel's forum specific styling methods to make the threads look like CMS articles ! The CMS articles would have Xenforo SEO and that would make the articles more useful in Xenforo that vBulletin !
I really like the auto-import for user blogs into LN Blog. Saves everyone a few steps!
This is great. I suspect it took alot of work by LN Blog to get things to import that smoothly.

And convert INTERNAL in-post links to the updated xf pages.
Yes. With the same IDs you can easily do that with Kiers addon that goes through each post. You then just replace "showthread" with "/threads/" and then you are done - if you don't put the title in your urls.

Having a correct internal link structure is not a bad thing for both SEO and user experience :)

That's not the way that XenForo's system works, and I won't be breaking the norm.

Here's some pro's to importing articles as pages / nodes:
  1. It replicates the basic vBCMS structure quite well because it'll have embedded categories under a general "CMS" category.
  2. vBCMS uses comments as threads in a hidden forum, which would be imported via Threads/Posts, and setting appropriate permissions & linking in articles would allow for this to work flawlessly.
  3. Separates "content" from "threads" in terms of URL (/pages/)
  4. Allows for management as content from ACP via nodes.
  5. Possibility for advanced permission mapping
Cons:
  1. Depending on size, we can introduce a massive amount of nodes which can be unwieldy to manage later down the road
  2. Permissions may be difficult

I know that many people will not be able to switch unless Paid Subscriptions could be imported.
I'm planning Paid Subscriptions in mine. This is more of a, we have these "obscure" ones that aren't straight forward imports. I was asking on how they'd work. Here's my current steps list (missing: dismissed notices, bbcodes, and blogs as threads)

Screen Shot 2011-10-13 at 2.18.31 PM.webp

He has stated he doesn't plan on updating it. It also doesn't support 1.1. I'm also planning more and some more advanced items.

Top Bottom