• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

vB4 Importer: How do you want it to work?

While I am mostly listening and havn't yet considered some details because I haven't explored XF enough to figure out the best way to use it.

Our situation is that we have just a few blogs but they are good quality blog post and I would like to maintain them as a separate entity perhaps on the users profile were they can be subscribed to by friends and have a separate feed from the forum post.

Articles we just havn't had much real use for them I have written a few but there is still great confusion since it creates duplicate threads,

The only reason I bought the CMS was to use it as a bussiness directory without any extensive revue tools and that has not worked out since I can't import a Database with custom fields, however I have spent a lot of time creating the category structure and would like a way to export it to another compatible directory ad on.

I do think groups would be useful but the way they are hidden our members have forgot they exist, much less figured out how to use them so it won't be a great loss.

CMS articles: do you want them imported as threads (prefixed?) or do you want them imported into a page/node structure?

Albums: How would you like them imported? Threads with comments as replies? Serialized for later import to a suitable alternative?
I'm not sure I understand what a page/node structure would look like but it sounds like it might work for me. I just want it to be easy to cross reference when someone is looking for a particular thing for example if they the searched 'grass' they might get lawn service , mower repair, irrigation and pest control companies as well as sod suppliers and informational articles on grass.

Pages are nodes, jsut like forums. So categories and pages would go in a hierarchical fashion. Such as:

- CMS
-- Lawn Services
--- Grass
--- Garden
-- House Services
--- Cleaning
--- Remodels
... etc ...

Pages are completely handled by XF and the search system (I believe), so that'll be good.

While I am mostly listening and havn't yet considered some details because I haven't explored XF enough to figure out the best way to use it.

Our situation is that we have just a few blogs but they are good quality blog post and I would like to maintain them as a separate entity perhaps on the users profile were they can be subscribed to by friends and have a separate feed from the forum post.

Articles we just havn't had much real use for them I have written a few but there is still great confusion since it creates duplicate threads,

The only reason I bought the CMS was to use it as a bussiness directory without any extensive revue tools and that has not worked out since I can't import a Database with custom fields, however I have spent a lot of time creating the category structure and would like a way to export it to another compatible directory ad on.

I do think groups would be useful but the way they are hidden our members have forgot they exist, much less figured out how to use them so it won't be a great loss.
LN Blog is what you'll want, and I'll be importing to it.

First I waiting for 1.1 Gold, second seems to be problems with attachments/avatars... and missed compatibility with 1.1 version other than support ended :)
Attachments and Avatars are imported fine. They are stored into the database, until you specifically changed it otherwise. In this case, you just have to put them back into the database in
  • vbulletin>admincp>attachments>storage type: database
  • vbulletin>admincp>avatars>storage type: database
Then they are imported just fine. I have imported into 1.0.4 and then upgraded to 1.1 beta 3.

Attachments and Avatars are imported fine. They are stored into the database, until you specifically changed it otherwise. In this case, you just have to put them back into the database in

• vbulletin>admincp>attachments>storage type: database
  • vbulletin>admincp>avatars>storage type: database
Then they are imported just fine. I have imported into 1.0.4 and then upgraded to 1.1 beta 3.

Thank you for reporting your experience :)
I'll give a try with your method as soon as 1.1 gold will be out

Question.

vBulletin 4 has custom avatars, attachments, albums, group images, etc as option to be stored in the file system. Something big-boards do for obvious reasons.

I know the import scripts ask for the attachment path, but not the rest.

I have no clue thankfully if vB4 stores them in the db as well as the file system, so importing these will go fine. Or if it perhaps is handy to have an option to these paths as well?

I had problems with Paul Ms importer for attachments stored in file system. To still import everything, I put customavatars and attachments into the database again and it worked. I don't know about group images and albums.

Top Bottom