• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.4 vb4 import - redirects

hi all, whats the best way to sort out my redirects for links after my vb4 import? i've keep the same ids however i'm currently running on a test forum, i.e. www.domain.com/forums/ = live vb4 forum & test.domain.com/forums/ = test XF forum.

I assuming a .htaccess file is the way to go, i've done some searching but haven't found exactly what i need, unfortunately writing my own is beyond my skill set, can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

Post content doesn't automatically update when the Board URL is changed.

You will need to run queries to change the URLs or this add-on: Post Content Find / Replace
i'm guessing thats not going to work based on this:

1. There is no batch processing in this add-on, so if you are replacing something that occurs in a lot of posts, this could be very slow and might time-out.
my forums got over 6m posts, i haven't a clue how many of them will have links into the old vb software

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
If you have the relevant rewrites in place, the actual URL in the posts is irrelevant, as traffic will be redirected.

However, a simple query to update the domain only would work fine, assuming the latter half of the URL is to remain the same.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
When I said a simple query, I meant something like:
Code:
UPDATE xf_post SET message = REPLACE(message,'current_content','new_content');
It it's timing out due to the number of posts then you can add a WHERE clause to restrict it to a range of post IDs.