1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 vB -> XF Migration. Google's Almost De-Indexed Old URLs. Now What?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by TheBigK, Apr 2, 2012.

1. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

We migrated from vB ( domain.com/forum) to Xenforo ( domain.com/community ) in December last year and Google now shows only about ~200 links to the old place ( /forum ). I'm sure Google will remove the remaining links in a week or so.

Note that I've had the redirects in place which tell Google the new destination of the threads. My questions are :-

1. What should be my next step when I see <50 old URLs listed in Google.
    2. Is it now safe to remove the /forum (old) directory?
    3. Do I need any changes to the .htaccess file?
    4. Those who've done it; is there any important point you'd want me to consider?
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Once Google has finished updating your links then you no longer need the redirects. But they might still be useful for old bookmarks and links in posts.
  3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Is there a way to convert the old links new links ?
  4. oloman

oloman Active Member

Hi Bigk

Is your traffic over 1st December ?

I'd say now old urls are removed you can submit a site map every day
  5. TheBigK

Right. So can I just keep the .htaccess file in /forum/ and delete rest of the files?
  6. TheBigK

We usually have Jan - March as the highest traffic months. Because of the redirects; the traffic did go down and it's steadily improving. I'm expecting the traffic to be completely back by June. We recently installed Sitemaps; but don't see that they're helping us a lot.
    oloman likes this.
  7. Jake Bunce

It requires a custom script.
  8. Jake Bunce

TheBigK likes this.