Vanishing Posts

jonsidneyb

It seems we have been having posts vanish. I don't know how widespread it is but some members have noticed. One of my admins has confirmed that some of his vanished as well.

We are at a loss as to what is happening. Any ideas.

It seems we have been having posts vanish. I don't know how widespread it is but some members have noticed. One of my admins has confirmed that some of his vanished as well.

We are at a loss as to what is happening. Any ideas.

Any agressive mysql caching? Otherwise, maybe someone with a permission who shouldnt?

Any agressive mysql caching? Otherwise, maybe someone with a permission who shouldnt?

I don't think it is a permissions issue. Hmmm "Any agressive mysql caching?" this can cause this kind of problem?

On the permissions, here is why I don't think it is the issue. The post is there, later it is gone.

The only time this has ever happened to me was on VBulletin (bear with me, this is still relevant). It was when I was hosting with 1&1 and they had a particular combination of PHP and MySQL that was causing a problem writing some stuff to the database. The first myself and many other forum owners on 1&1 noticed was that threads would spontaneously vanish, always after someone had added a reply.

The evidence for this, and this is where I suggest you look, was in the raw database. The post and thread records were still there but the ID numbers were corrupt or blank. So, my suggestion would be to use PHPMyAdmin or similar and look for orphaned content. However it is vastly easier if someone remembers an actual thread or post that vanished, so you can narrow it down.

Other than that, I can only see this being a permissions problem (which you have ruled out) or a rogue member or hacker with the access required to delete content either from within the forum, or through your database. It won't do any harm to change all passwords and just run a check on what accounts have this sort of access and change passwords on those too.

Hope this is some help. It can be a nightmare sorting out things like this.

The only time this has ever happened to me was on VBulletin (bear with me, this is still relevant). It was when I was hosting with 1&1 and they had a particular combination of PHP and MySQL that was causing a problem writing some stuff to the database. The first myself and many other forum owners on 1&1 noticed was that threads would spontaneously vanish, always after someone had added a reply.

The evidence for this, and this is where I suggest you look, was in the raw database. The post and thread records were still there but the ID numbers were corrupt or blank. So, my suggestion would be to use PHPMyAdmin or similar and look for orphaned content. However it is vastly easier if someone remembers an actual thread or post that vanished, so you can narrow it down.

Other than that, I can only see this being a permissions problem (which you have ruled out) or a rogue member or hacker with the access required to delete content either from within the forum, or through your database. It won't do any harm to change all passwords and just run a check on what accounts have this sort of access and change passwords on those too.

Hope this is some help. It can be a nightmare sorting out things like this.

Hmmmm, this is interesting. I am going to add some information in the next post.

In one thread we noticed two posts that was post #1000

Of course there shouldn't be two post #1000 in the same thread. Would this be a symptom of what you mentioned.

Top Bottom