[UW] Smileys Bar [Deleted]

Thanks. Nice to hear that. :) A lot of work went into this one, compare to what it really cost, it's a bargain.

absolutely agree! :)

You can write a suggestion in the customer area of the support website, to discuss it further and we'll see. Maybe in the future.

oh, i definitely will ... do you maybe have a direct link to the customer area?

Edit: wait, nevermind ... already found it (and posted) :) thanks again!

This will further increase the queries cost. We've a scenario where there can be around 38 editors on a single page (FCS add-on). If we go with templater_setup, it will make queries each time the editor template is setup so that would be worse.

So keeping in view that there can be multiple editors on a page, the best solution was to pass the data into the templater_global_data.
If done properly, you will not have queries for every editor instance.

There are even multiple ways to achieve this
  1. Use a listener on template_pre_render for uw_smileys_bar to populate params
    Inside your callback method, use a cache for the data and populate that only once
  2. Use a custom templater function to return your data like <xf:set var="$smiliesBarInfo" value="{{ uw_smilies_bar_info() }}" />
    Use a cache inside this function and populate that only once
  3. Setup your own container object and access that form within uw_smileys_bar

Either should work, personally I'd use 2) or 3).

The approach you've currently taken causes an additional query on every page, even if there is no editior being displayed at all.

Feature Request
Would it be possible to load the Smiley Bar via AJAX if it is not open when rendering the template?
This could completely avoid the query if the Smiley Bar is not initially open.

Last edited:
If done properly, you will not have queries for every editor instance.

There are even multiple ways to achieve this
  1. Use a listener on template_pre_render for uw_smileys_bar to populate params
    Inside your callback method, use a cache for the data and populate that only once
  2. Use a custom templater function to return your data like <xf:set var="$smiliesBarInfo" value="{{ uw_smilies_bar_info() }}" />
    Use a cache inside this function and populate that only once
  3. Setup your own container object and access that form within uw_smileys_bar

Either should work, personally I'd use 2) or 3).

The approach you've currently taken causes an additional query on every page, even if there is no editior being displayed at all.

Feature Request
Would it be possible to load the Smiley Bar via AJAX if it is not open when rendering the template?
This could completely avoid the query if the Smiley Bar is not initially open.
FYI We do not have query for every editor instance, We are using the templater_global_data hence making 1 query per page in best cases.

I know that there is only one query per page, but as pointed out this is unnecessary if there is no editor at all.

@xffutureuser I'm trying to purchase this addon but I'm not receiving the confirmation email for account activation, and it's now maybe more than half an hour. I've also tried resending a couple of times...

Sorry for writing in this thread but I couldn't find a way to contact you on your forum, as it seems I can't even send private messages yet.

Any clue on what's going on?

xffutureuser updated [UW] Smileys Bar with a new update entry:

UW - Smileys Bar 2.1.0 released

🔹Option to add any smiley form the smileys menu emojis categories. In the admin, under Smileys Bar settings (Setup->Options->[UW] Smileys Bar), you can insert any smiley, from the stock emojis categories ( People, Nature, Food, Activity, Travel, Objects, Symbols, Flags ) into the Smileys Bar.
And from Content->Smilies->Uncategorized smilies (these are the Smileys Bar smileys) you can remove any smiley you want.
So this way you can build completely your own Smileys Bar.

[ATTACH...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Hi, is there a way to stop showing ALL of the smileys I have? For example, I don't need to have my Xmas smileys in the list. Some sort of tick box in back end to deselect categories of smileys I don't want to show would be nice.

Also, the magnifier button doesn't show on my forum https://cardiffcityforum.com

Hi, is there a way to stop showing ALL of the smileys I have? For example, I don't need to have my Xmas smileys in the list. Some sort of tick box in back end to deselect categories of smileys I don't want to show would be nice.
In xF 2.1 I am not aware of that option. You can do it only one by one.
Also, the magnifier button doesn't show on my forum https://cardiffcityforum.com
Did you check your user group permissions?

In xF 2.1 I am not aware of that option. You can do it only one by one.

Did you check your user group permissions?
When you say one by one, do you mean delete them? Or is there a setting I haven't seen somewhere?

And yes, thanks for that, I didn't have the group permission set but now I'm wondering what the button is supposed to do because when I click it nothing happens?

When you say one by one, do you mean delete them? Or is there a setting I haven't seen somewhere?
In the admin area, you have the option "Show this smilie in the text editor."

1598380481638.webp

And yes, thanks for that, I didn't have the group permission set but now I'm wondering what the button is supposed to do because when I click it nothing happens?
A magnifier button on the right side of the Smileys Bar, when selected (in blue colour), will insert xF stock emojis into the text editor in max size, and that is 64px.

1598380633496.webp

I have created something that most developers don't bother to do and that is a user manual. You can find it here:

In the admin area, you have the option "Show this smilie in the text editor."

View attachment 233515

A magnifier button on the right side of the Smileys Bar, when selected (in blue colour), will insert xF stock emojis into the text editor in max size, and that is 64px.

View attachment 233516

I have created something that most developers don't bother to do and that is a user manual. You can find it here:

Ah ok great, thank you for your help.

The "Force Open the Smileys Bar" option doesn't work for me.

Whether the box is checked or not the reply box always just looks like this:

Q5qH0ST.png

If that's what it's supposed to look like then is there any way to get the smileys box to open a bit more so users get a peek of the smileys that are in there? (without them having to click the down arrow on the side)

I don't have any smilies in the Uncategorized section

2xeC0wF.png
So that's way it's empty. You should put some smileys (ideal static images) to that category, because those are the smileys that will show up in the Smileys Bar.

Or if you have custom smileys just use the checkbox to add them to the Smileys Bar:

1598451178859.png

Or:
🔹Option to add any smiley form the smileys menu emojis categories. In the admin, under Smileys Bar settings (Setup->Options->[UW] Smileys Bar), you can insert any smiley, from the stock emojis categories ( People, Nature, Food, Activity, Travel, Objects, Symbols, Flags ) into the Smileys Bar.
And from Content->Smilies->Uncategorized smilies(these are the Smileys Bar smileys) you can remove any smiley you want.
So this way you can build completely your own Smileys Bar.

1598451223184.png

Last edited:
That's not the problem, all my smilies are showing fine under the reply box and are already categorised the way I want them to be, but right now users have to click the down arrow to view them and I would rather it be already open so users can see them and see the scroll bar next to it, if that is possible.

Top Bottom