[UW] Forum Comments System [Deleted]

I'm not sure if this is a bug or feature but I found something.

When a comment is deleted, the comment count still remains unchanged.

1586013802971.png

An extreme case, all comments got deleted:

1586013903588.png

Last edited:
@gogo Did you use "Permanently delete" or "Remove from public view"? Because with "Permanently delete" I am not able to replicate that.
And with "Remove from public view" the comment is actually still there, just not visible to everyone, so that is way the count is not changed. Will check if anything can be done about it.

Last edited:
Oh yes. I set it to Remove from public view for members in Registered group, otherwise if's Registered users are allowed to do a hard delete, the moderators won't have a chance to see what he's commented if it's ever been reported.

The inconsistency in comment count could be confusing to users because they may not understand what happened behind. If it can be changed to to what's actually shown to the users that would be cool.

e.g. 5 comments, 2 soft deleted.

Then moderators will see "5 comments" and users will see "3 comments".

Or, both groups of users will see "5 comments (2 deleted)".

This is nothing urgent or really important anyway.

Reactions: arn
@xffutureuser bought and downloaded. It looks like this is really good. Also like how it doesn't change the post table. :)

I have installed it on a test forum, but I don't seem to see Reactions available for comments.

edit: duh. you can't react to your own comments. have to be logged in as another user.

Last edited:
The inconsistency in comment count could be confusing to users because they may not understand what happened behind. If it can be changed to to what's actually shown to the users that would be cool.
It is being looked into right now. Thanks for pointing that out. (y)

@xffutureuser bought and downloaded. It looks like this is really good. Also like how it doesn't change the post table. :)

I have installed it on a test forum, but I don't seem to see Reactions available for comments.

Node Permissions -> Choose a Forum -> Registered Users

I have these settings with React to comments YES
View attachment 221901

I switched to default theme and turned off another Reaction addon, but it's still not showing

View attachment 221902

any thoughts?

arn

Reactions are available in my version 1.7 (bought today).

1586020098960.webp

@xffutureuser when someone clicks "Reply" on a comment, it throws them into the Thread Reply box with a quote. I think it would make more sense to throw them into the Comment text box with the quote in there. Not sure if that had come up before.

arn

@xffutureuser when someone clicks "Reply" on a comment, it throws them into the Thread Reply box with a quote. I think it would make more sense to throw them into the Comment text box with the quote in there. Not sure if that had come up before.

arn

It would be too confusing and eye tiring to mix up comments and replies in the same block. And it'd make the function of relies and comments even more indistinguishable.

I think the current way to handle it is sensible. It adds a small arrow in the reply that links back to the comment.

Users should be encouraged to use replies. Comments are short sentences or even just a word to show the immediate feelings to a reply. It's like a text version of reactions. Of course that's just what I'm thinking now.. I have no idea what the whole thing will become when it goes live and public.

Works as intended. Reply button creates a regular reply. Comment button creates a comment.
I think the current way to handle it is sensible. It adds a small arrow in the reply that links back to the comment.

Ah for some reason my dev install is not doing that. When I hit comment on a comment, it goes to the comment field and doesn't pre-fill it with the [CQ] tag.

It may be my dev environment though. I see the AJAX call returning the proper stuff... but it's not getting inserted into the comment box. I see a lot of javascript errors in my dev environment though. I'll see if it happens on a cleaner install.

arn

edit: in case anyone runs into this. It had to do with http and https mixed content. Loading off a http page didn’t work. Https worked

Last edited:
Users should be encouraged to use replies.
That is one of the reasons why it is done that way. Users who feel like writing a very long post about a comment, it is more appropriate to create a regular reply.

Comments are short sentences or even just a word to show the immediate feelings to a reply. It's like a text version of reactions.
That is a exactly how I see it as well. On my forum, most users get that.

xffutureuser updated [UW] Forum Comments System with a new update entry:

Version 1.6

🔹 Total comments count In this version was added a new row with the total number of comments in a reply and also each comment has a unique number. See the image below:

View attachment 222003

🔹Visible comments limit per post added Load More, Expand All... buttons were added in this version (reworked in v.1.7). In Setup->Options->[UW] Forum Comments System you have now the option to set how many comments you want to...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I'm not sure if this is a bug or feature but I found something...
Please check the latest version. The issue should be resolved now. It is now showing what's actually visible to the specific user group.

This is what admin can see:

1586179421138.webp

And this is what Registered users group see (no comments, nor comment count row).

1586179494374.webp

Last edited:
Possible to have a simplified version (user configurable) of this editing box for making comments?

IMG_20200406_213331.webp

e.g. I only need similes. All other tools are not needed for posting comments. Bbcode tags won't have effect..

This simplifies the UI and also don't make users take comments as a replacement for replies.

You may consider adding feature in future release.

Possible to have a simplified version (user configurable) of this editing box for making comments?
So you want to have an option to allow the user to remove all extra tools. Will consider the options.
I see you've got yourself Smileys Bar. ;) 👌 Thanks for the support. I love that add-on.:)

Last edited:
Right. I only need a textbox, smilies and a button (also the cancel button) for submitting comments. Maybe some other people want more or all tools. So it's better to be user configurable.

I think other than the 2 reasons mentioned above, a simplified input box also can remind users that they're actually making a comments which is supposed to be short.

Yes the smiley bar add-on is really cool. It should be the standard of xenforo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom