[UW] Forum Comments System [Deleted]

I'll have a look. But at the moment. I don't want to invest money in addons which in future could go away.
Add-on development is a two edged sword, and you have this issue regardless of platform.

With XF the best bet is to go for people who have been here a while (if they survived the changes from XF1.3 to XF2.2 they're likely not abandoning much any time soon).

The only other option is pay to have add-ons made specifically for you, which is what I usually end up doing.

Add-on development is a two edged sword, and you have this issue regardless of platform.

With XF the best bet is to go for people who have been here a while (if they survived the changes from XF1.3 to XF2.2 they're likely not abandoning much any time soon).

The only other option is pay to have add-ons made specifically for you, which is what I usually end up doing.
Obviously you make money out of forum, but mine is more hobbyist forum, so no chance I can do that again.

Obviously you make money out of forum, but mine is more hobbyist forum, so no chance I can do that again.
I have several forums, one is a business, most are hobbies.

For the business it funds a lot of the development I want, but I also pay out of pocket for development if I need it for my communities.

I also wouldn't say most addon devs are unreliable, but more that addon development (and style development) as a whole is fairly unreliable. It takes hours or days, sometimes weeks or months to develop an addon, and then you have to add the time to support it on top of that. You then get hounded by feature requests (and a lot of those are demands rather than requests). Unless your resource caters to the greater community, you likely will break even at most, and more often than not that is not the case.

I probably never really broke even on the time investment I put into styles I sold publicly when I still did style design, and unless a per-style template modification system is added I don't see it being worth the time to ever come back to it.

When I ask for features to be added, I usually mention funding it, or will offer to fund it privately (It's why Badges now has DBTech support). I also mention to the devs I have do work that they can release my add-ons for free or sell them if they want (unless it is one that I need kept private). Several of the devs I work with just do not releasing public work due to the constant requests they get.

If you look on the list of top resource providers here, it's a safe assumption that the top ten of them are very reliable. You can also check join dates, ratings, reviews. Literally, you don't have to use unreliable people.

I just had to cut down from the addons I had. And keeping these from most active and reliable developers.

I just had to cut down from the addons I had. And keeping these from most active and reliable developers.
Post was more for other readers who will come along. Yours is a cautionary tale, new xf admins seem to always want to load their new board up with all the cool gadgets and gizmos, only to later find out that ain't what it's about. And/or causes problems down the road. Buyer beware. Do your due diligence and research.

In this example, does anyone know why the addon was abandoned ?

I assume too much work, too little pay
No idea. Maybe something bad happened in her (or his) personal life, so we shouldn't assume she just gave up on things. I seem to remember her saying somewhere that she used this addon on her own website which, if true, would imply that that's maybe been left to drift in the wind too....

How is this add-on compared with [tl] Post Reply?

It depends how you want to use the add-on but personally it's not great compared to this.

When using Post Reply each 'comment' is still counted towards a post. For example lets say there are three posts in a thread, if one of those posts gets 17 (or whatever your Discussions per page is set to) comments below it then that post is moved onto page 2. So on page 1 you have two posts and on page 2 you have one post. The addon makes pages super small if you get a lot of comments. You can get around that by making Discussions Per Page in Xenforo Options higher but then you're going to get long pages for threads that aren't as active using comments.

That's my experience when testing that add-on anyway. They aren't really comments. The add-on name is correct, it's just a post reply. Completely different to UW Forum Comments System

Top Bottom