Partial fix utf8mb4 smilies vs my site

TPerry

When I display the smilies on it (on my site only) and the utf8mb4 emojis. this is what I am seeing. Doesn't matter if I use FireFox, Safari or Chrome. Doesn't matter if I'm using Mac loaded with Catalina 10.15.7, Desktop loaded with Windows 10, or Windows 11. This is NOT occurring on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. It is not limited to computers within my residence.. was attached via TeamViewer to a client computers and checked on it (Windows 10 and a Windows 11) and same issues.. just not the same ones.

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 10.38.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-20 at 10.38.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-20 at 11.11.26 PM.png

I've ran the utility to "convert" the DB and it tells No convertable tables found. No action required.

I have tried just about everything I can think of to resolve this. I have exported the DB enabling utf8mb4 and imported ti the same also...
I also have $config['fullUnicode'] = true; enabled in config.php
Is there any way to reset the DB for the emojis?

This occurs on all styles.. so it's possibly? directly DB related since my file check shows all files to be OK and I don't have any add-ons that deal with the smilies.

Last edited:
This may be an issue with the underlying JoyPixels library and it specifically pertains to using "native" emoji.

Workaround for now is to revert to the default which is their own JoyPixels emoji.

1151200B-2565-439B-863E-42BC83BCE717.png

I asked the site member, the user who uses iphone 13. Can you send a photo? There doesn't seem to be a problem to verify... I don't understand why you have a problem?

3BCC76A2-236D-499E-A19B-D7972581F46B.webp

i have iphone SE... i am admin full authority and i have a problem like this. Why is nothing coming out? Did I just turn off the permissions?

Last edited:
Just to follow up on this...

XF 2.2.12 will include JoyPixels 7.0 which includes a few code fixes, updated artwork, and new emojis introduced in Unicode 14.

In my testing, it seems to have resolved the majority of these issues, though I have to preface that with the condition that it may still depend on the version of the operating system having support for some of these newer emojis in the first place. There are still a couple of emoji that do not display, even on the newest macOS, though I have seen that behaviour in other apps too, which leads me to believe this may be an underlying macOS issue more than anything.

In short, as we already discussed here, having the emojiStyle at its default value of "Emoji by JoyPixels" is going to mitigate this issue. For the most part, that's why this option exists. It removes some of the barriers to compatibility on different versions and attempts to make all emoji usage entirely consistent no matter what device is used.

Once more, thanks @Chris D. It's a welcome change with the current interaction on bug fixes and such... now, if it could just winnow down to suggestions. ;)

Top Bottom