1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Using XenPorta's new Forum Styling for Articles.

Discussion in 'Resource Discussions [Archive]' started by Digital Doctor, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Articles Tab [aka Pages Tab] - updated January 15, 2012

This uses commonly available addons to make native xenforo threads appear as articles.

- WYSIWYG editing (uses Xenforo's native editor)
    - Articles have comments (can be disabled)
    - articles have their own Tab.
    - Article Listing (list of articles) appears when Tab clicked.
    - Categories - list the articles in that category.
    - "Pages" editable outside the AdminCP.
    - data safe in default xenforo formats / tables.
    - Articles appear in "What's new". Comments bump the article back to the top.
    - Watch, Likes, Reporting available.

4 Key Ingredients for an Articles Tab:
    [1] Categories: Thread prefix listing could work as categories. [easy] [optional]
    [2] Articles Tab: Jake's addon [Nodes As Tabs (with tab selection)] does that. [easy]
    [3] Article-looking view: XenPorta's Article + Comments view works well. [Demo] Note: you could style it yourself even more. [easy]
    [4] Article listing: [pretty easy]
    - would be a thread, which displays when you click the Articles Tab [Demo].
    - articles would be listed manually. (could be much nicer than the usual sterile articles list !)
    - remove the breadcrumbs for more of a clean Page look.

(1) XenPorta - xenporta.com
    (2) Nodes as Tabs (with selection).
    (3) Articles forum - see setup below
    How to setup the Articles Forum such that the pages display in the Articles Tab.
    ... and that clicking on the Tab displays the [4] Article List :

=========== NOTES =======================
    This Articles System uses XenPorta's ability to style individual forums. I discovered this by looking at Jaxel's 8way annoucement thread.
    See how it is styled such that it makes the 2/3/4th posts look like comments ?
    xenporta.8wayrun.com.article.comments.jpg [Demo]
    (Article Styling = Article + Comments)
  2. Digital Doctor

Idea: using Simple Forms for the Article Submission ?
    Q: Can people submit a form with one section being a WYSIWYG-edited entry ?
  3. Digital Doctor

=== OLDER INFORMATION === removed from first post.
    The Articles could even have their "own Tab" as I've seen an Addon here that will display selected forums under a different tab. In this case if you put the "Articles forum" under a Tab called Articles ... you would then have Articles and they all would be listed under a Tab called Articles ! The addon that splits the forum "into pages" (What I call tabs)i:
    Forum Index in Pages
  4. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Can an Article paginate on a long one?

Do all the Articles collect in one forum? Or could I have several to act as categories?
    In that case I guess I'd have Category tabs which would be neat as I'll end up with a library of 100s of Articles.
  5. jörgk

jörgk Active Member

6. Digital Doctor

This, in the current form, wouldn't work then.
  7. Digital Doctor

I think if you use Fuhrmann's prefixes ... you could have categories :)
    Fuhrmann likes this.
  8. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

So Xenporta can pretty much be used as an article system? Is this the better way to go than using a bridge addon like Wordpress or ContentTeller? The main benefit I see is one search engine that can return all types of content instead of splitting it between two systems.
  9. Digital Doctor

Contents moved to first post.
    Fuhrmann likes this.
  10. Digital Doctor

Jake's Nodes As Tabs (with tab selection) can be tweaked to display a Thread ... not a forum.
    This makes for a much cooler Article Listing option than the usual forum List !

DEMO: Check out this Guide Tab (it is actually a thread).
    Here is a screen capture of it. thread.as.an.external.page.jpg from http://theinfinityprogram.com
    Hyperion likes this.
  11. Digital Doctor

Note .... you can also setup article submissions via a link in the subnavbar.

12. Digital Doctor

13. Digital Doctor

14. Digital Doctor