Using with DAP

vcp

About to set up sites with DAP and WP and looking to choose either vbulletin or XF and came across this comment:
" We integrated DAP with Xenforo recently, but I personally find vBulletin much easier to configure and integrate with than Xenforo. I could not find info on how to do ‘Single Sign On’ integration with Xenforo. I opened a ticket with Xenforo support asking for API documentation for ‘login/single-sign-on’ integration, but I was told to ask for help in the forums. Lot more info and help available on Vbulletin as it’s been around for a long time."

Anyone with XF care to comment/reassure me that this has been addressed? Thanks! (Honest - just trying to do my due diligence before I get down to the serious work integrating everything.)

Sorry, Brogan - used 'DAP' instead of Digital Access Pass as there seemed to be numerous posts here about it already, so assumed XF support would be aware of the software - pretty popular and robust, and a perfect partner to vB or XF.

I guess what also concerns me now is the failure to address the writer's (who is a major software developer and coder) comment about lack of XF support when asking a specific question - " I could not find info on how to do ‘Single Sign On’ integration with Xenforo. I opened a ticket with Xenforo support asking for API documentation for ‘login/single-sign-on’ integration, but I was told to ask for help in the forums. Lot more info and help available on Vbulletin as it’s been around for a long time."

Was hoping for reassurance that this kind of support issue had been remedied. But seems it is something I need to consider when making my choice between XF and vB.

Thanks anyway.

Ticket support only applies to the core software and official add-ons for licensed customers.
We can't support third party add-ons, customisations or development.

There isn't an API which is why the answer to ask on the forum in the development discussion area was given.

That comment I believe comes from one of the DAP developers.

I've been around here for a while and I can't say I have ever heard of DAP. And as Brogan hasn't either, it would suggest to me that there aren't many XenForo and DAP users. I haven't done a search of the forum but it just doesn't sound familiar.

Reading about DAP, I have heard of something similar, aMember, which I guess is a competing product.

But, anyway. Indeed asking on the forums is the best course of action here. There have been a number of add-ons released which provide single sign on and external authentication. It's important to remember, too, that XenForo itself already integrates with Facebook, Twitter and Google authentication.

There isn't a great deal of documentation but generally the code is very well documented and it is usually more than sufficient to look at the existing XenForo code in order to learn how to customise it to your own needs.

There's also a pretty active Development Forum here which many people use for help on their projects. I'm certain that should the developers of DAP have needed help or clarification on anything they certainly would have been able to find that. The fact that they have potentially chosen to instead stay quiet and somewhat suggest their experience was a negative one is a shame because I'm sure had they put more effort in, they would have a different opinion and maybe even a better integration in their own product with what is a much more appealing forum software than the alternatives.

Thanks, Chris. Really appreciate your detailed explanation and the link re: DAP/XF integration. (Hadn't found that.)

Personally, after looking at a lot of options, DAP seems to have all the features I've been looking for. (And must say their pre-sales support has been incredible.) Jeez, just re-read that - sounds like I'm working for them! But whatever, I also need to integrate DAP with something like XF or vB and just can't afford to waste time with buggy software. So trying to get everything in order before I get started.

Anyway, thanks again for the info, Chris.

PS re: "there aren't many XenForo and DAP users" I suspect because previously the only real option was vB. But if other DAP users (over 25,000 as I understand), like me, sense that XF is a viable option, that might change. Something for XF developers to consider?? ("Hi DAP? This is XF. Wanna chat?")

Last edited:
Well how about that - how quickly things change. Here's part of a comment I just received from one of the DAP developers about XF: "Yes, my feelings have changed about Xenforo :). I have not interacted with their support in a long time so I am not sure if they are better now, but we will be making a new announcement about DAP->Xenforo integration tomorrow." You can read her whole post here: http://www.digitalaccesspass.com/bl...grates-with-dap/comment-page-1/#comment-64756

Looks like XF is in my future. (Man, with posts like this I should be making a commission from XF and DAP! ;-)

I have not interacted with their support in a long time so I am not sure if they are better now
There has never been anything wrong with XenForo support.

I'm pretty sure development questions directed at vBulletin ticket support would also be referred to documentation or support forums.

The support XenForo provides is excellent.

I guess that's another good reason to consider XenForo :)

I had no issue with XF support. But the developer of software I very much admire and who provides outstanding support herself, did. So I think I'd be foolish not to look into the issue. Anyway, think if you read the whole post you will see it is very favorable to XF. ex. "We have been having some serious issues with VB 5.x as well because they have changed their apis without caring for the impact on 3rd party integrations. I would recommend Xenforo over VB because the only remaining issue with Xenforo (autologin), has now been resolved." Cheers!

Top Bottom