1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using individual images for forum icons instead of sprite?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by DarkGizmo, Jan 21, 2013.

1. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

Hey there. I'm making a skin and not really wanting to do the sprite method (mainly cuz i find it to be a pain to make in photoshop ETC), So i was wondering how would I get the forum icons behavior work using separate images? one for no new posts, one for new posts, linked forum/redirect, and page? Can this be done? Thanks!

2. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Go into Appearance >> style properties >> node icons and the listings on the left hand side you just insert the path to your individual image rather than the spritesheet. You'll have to remove the positioning text (coordinates ) also.

Jake Bunce likes this.
  3. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

I did that but it doesn't seem to change when a new post is made, which is why I made the thread. :)

4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

In that area there are different properties for read, unread, etc. You can define different images there. And remove the background position if you aren't using a sprite.

5. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

Yeah. I did that but when I make new posts the nonew icon doesn't change to new to indicate that there are new posts.....

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Log out and look at it. Also try hitting f5 a couple times to refresh the page.

7. Jake Bunce

If trying to trigger an unread icon you need two different users. Threads that you yourself post will already be read.

Shelley likes this.
  8. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

Ah got it. Thanks Jake. :)

Also, does it matter what size these images are? I was using an image and removed the position but but it looked cut-off so i had to resize it.....i guess there's no way around that though.....

9. Shelley

In the style properties i directed you to above the top link on the left side you can adjust the width and height.

nodeicons.png

DarkGizmo and Jake Bunce like this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Extending upon this idea, how would it be handled on a per node basis instead? :barefoot:

11. Shelley

Could you define a width: x height x in extra if this is the case? per node? I'm sure it could be done though i may be wrong.

edit: I probably misunderstood what you meant Kev

Kevin likes this.
  12. Jake Bunce

Kevin likes this.
  13. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Yeah Shelley, I did so when I changed the ones I used...

Code:
    .node_2 .nodeIcon {
        float: left;
        height: 64px !important;
        margin: -2px 8px -4px 5px !important;
        width: 64px !important;
    }

Jake Bunce and Shelley like this.
  14. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

That worked, thanks! :D

15. Kevin