As designed Users with "Email invalid (bounced)" can't create posts, not reflected in "Analyze permissions"

W1zzard

Affected version
I always assumed that users that have "email bounced" state merely don't receive new email notifications but can use the forum normally.

Today a user contacted me and wondered why he "is banned" and can't create new posts or send private messages.

I checked using "analyze permissions" and that shows everything as normal.

a) Is it intended that users with email invalid state can't use the forum normally?
b) Analyze permissions should definitely take that into account

Yes any user whose state is not “Valid” is treated the same as an unregistered user. This is the same logic that stops a user from using the forum until their email is confirmed after registration.

Analyze permissions analyses the actual permission entries on their account and cannot be analysed in that way.

Analyze permissions analyses the actual permission entries on their account and cannot be analysed in that way.
Shouldn't be hard to look at the user state and treat as unregistered?

"This tool allows you to analyze the individual components that make up a permission set for a user. It is particularly useful for determining why a permission is not being applied as you expect."

I'm probably not the only one who'd assume that "individual components" includes user state

Shouldn't be hard to look at the user state and treat as unregistered?

That would potentially lead to more confusion because you won't know if the permissions being applied are because of the user groups and direct user permissions, or because of the user state.

It's trivial to check the user state when looking at a user - anything other than "Valid" has a problem which needs to be addressed regardless of permissions.

If the user is in a Valid state but still can't do what you think they should be able to do - at that point you would start analysing permissions.

because you won't know if the permissions being applied are because of the user groups and direct user permissions, or because of the user state.
Click on "details"?
fk88gbvoni.jpg

Top Bottom