Resource icon

Username Restrictions 1.1.0

No permission to download
@Xon, looking at this addon and the User Mentions addon - I didn't think it was possible for a registering user to pick a username that is already in use, or for an admin to rename a user to that of an existing user on the ACP. This addon seems to imply that such action is indeed possible??

I can see the need to avoid choosing a username that equals a user group or is "close to" a user group, but can't you just restrict that username from being chosen via the ACP?

@Xon, looking at this addon and the User Mentions addon - I didn't think it was possible for a registering user to pick a username that is already in use, or for an admin to rename a user to that of an existing user on the ACP. This addon seems to imply that such action is indeed possible??

I can see the need to avoid choosing a username that equals a user group or is "close to" a user group, but can't you just restrict that username from being chosen via the ACP?
I wrote this to workaround limitations of how [bd] tag me did username matching. My own User Mention Improvements doesn't need it.

I thought you wrote this to work with User Mentions per that Resource Description:

See my addon Username Restrictions to prevent users signing up using a usergroup name.

So naturally, I'm now confused.

But you still didn't really answer my questions, or maybe you did. I can't really tell. Maybe I'm just tired. LOL.

I thought you wrote this to work with User Mentions per that Resource Description:

So naturally, I'm now confused.

But you still didn't really answer my questions, or maybe you did. I can't really tell. Maybe I'm just tired. LOL.
This add-on does two things:
  1. Forbid usernames which match group names
  2. Forbid partial matches for usernmaes which match group names.
Point 2) is something [bd] tag me requires.

For example, if there is a user called 'Super', then @Super moderator matches as "Super" in [db] tagme and "Super moderator" in User Mentions improvements.

Oh I see, that's weird. Usually mentioning only works forward, as in "super" would generate "super" and "super moderator" but "super moderator" would normally not generate "super". I think this is what you mean by "subset" correct?

Is that basically a bug in the [bd] addon?

As for this

Forbid usernames which match group names
Is this a possibility with both [bd] and User Mentions? I could see this as being the case since a user group is not in the same "list" as usernames. therefore since XF doesn't by default look at usergroups when auto-completing a mention, I would see this affecting anything that allows tagging/mentioning of a group.

Oh I see, that's weird. Usually mentioning only works forward, as in "super" would generate "super" and "super moderator" but "super moderator" would normally not generate "super". I think this is what you mean by "subset" correct?

Is that basically a bug in the [bd] addon?
Correct.

As for this

Is this a possibility with both [bd] and User Mentions? I could see this as being the case since a user group is not in the same "list" as usernames. therefore since XF doesn't by default look at usergroups when auto-completing a mention, I would see this affecting anything that allows tagging/mentioning of a group.
Yup. As there is nothing in stock XF preventing a username being the same as a user group. Which obviously makes tagging a user group when you have a user with the exact same name rather hard.

I just installed but I thought it restricts users not to use some usersnames which admin can chose. Such as Admin, Author, Moderator etc
I thought these kind of names will be restricted. But this addon is something else I guess?

Per the description, it prevents people registering usernames which match user groups you have. The idea is to work with User Mention Improvements to ensure usergroup tagging works as expected.

You can already do those sorts of username restrictions with the standard XenForo tools, but it is limited to a whitelist regex and a partial text match string blacklist.

User Essentials (paid) provides a "User Name Not Match Regular Expression" option which more easily allows you to use regex's to forbid a pattern of usernames.

Per the description, it prevents people registering usernames which match user groups you have. The idea is to work with User Mention Improvements to ensure usergroup tagging works as expected.

You can already do those sorts of username restrictions with the standard XenForo tools, but it is limited to a whitelist regex and a partial text match string blacklist.

User Essentials (paid) provides a "User Name Not Match Regular Expression" option which more easily allows you to use regex's to forbid a pattern of usernames.
Ah I see thank you so much for the detailed reply, I understand your point now. I am new here so bear with me please.
I appreciate your reply and learned more about this addon, will keep it as its also very useful.
Is there any option or addon in xenforo where I can restrict useranmes so users can not chose those while registering?

Is there any option or addon in xenforo where I can restrict useranmes so users can not chose those while registering?
This is part of default Xenforo. ACP > Options > User Registration, scroll down to bottom
User Name Validation - Disallowed Text in User Names

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom