1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Username Restrictions 1.1.0

Prevents usernames from matching usergroups (helps user group tagging)

1. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

Xon submitted a new resource:

Username Restrictions - Prevents usernames from matching usergroups (helps user group tagging)

Read more about this resource...

2. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

3. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

4. BobbyWibowo

BobbyWibowo Well-Known Member

Will this add-on respects limitation from this Username Restriction add-on?

5. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

Yes. As long as an addon goes through the standard XenForo User updating code my addon should work as expected.

6. BobbyWibowo

BobbyWibowo Well-Known Member

Ah, I see. Thanks for this add-on then :)

Xon likes this.
  7. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Well-Known Member

@Xon, looking at this addon and the User Mentions addon - I didn't think it was possible for a registering user to pick a username that is already in use, or for an admin to rename a user to that of an existing user on the ACP. This addon seems to imply that such action is indeed possible??

I can see the need to avoid choosing a username that equals a user group or is "close to" a user group, but can't you just restrict that username from being chosen via the ACP?

8. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

I wrote this to workaround limitations of how [bd] tag me did username matching. My own User Mention Improvements doesn't need it.

9. Floyd R Turbo

I thought you wrote this to work with User Mentions per that Resource Description:

So naturally, I'm now confused.

But you still didn't really answer my questions, or maybe you did. I can't really tell. Maybe I'm just tired. LOL.

10. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

This add-on does two things:
    1. Forbid usernames which match group names
    2. Forbid partial matches for usernmaes which match group names.
    Point 2) is something [bd] tag me requires.

For example, if there is a user called 'Super', then @Super moderator matches as "Super" in [db] tagme and "Super moderator" in User Mentions improvements.

11. Floyd R Turbo

Oh I see, that's weird. Usually mentioning only works forward, as in "super" would generate "super" and "super moderator" but "super moderator" would normally not generate "super". I think this is what you mean by "subset" correct?

Is that basically a bug in the [bd] addon?

As for this

Is this a possibility with both [bd] and User Mentions? I could see this as being the case since a user group is not in the same "list" as usernames. therefore since XF doesn't by default look at usergroups when auto-completing a mention, I would see this affecting anything that allows tagging/mentioning of a group.

12. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

Correct.

Yup. As there is nothing in stock XF preventing a username being the same as a user group. Which obviously makes tagging a user group when you have a user with the exact same name rather hard.

13. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member