Userless Posts?

ScottLott

I'm wondering if it's possible to set up a thread so that the first post has no user shown for the post or even a column for the userbox/info.

Essentially a "page" that can be responded to with posts.

I guess a better example would be like a Wordpress page with comments below. How would I go about doing this?

Anything is possible with the correct code and styling.

Is this a general question or are you asking for specifics for your own site?
In which case I will move the thread to the correct customer support forum.

It's a general question, I've been looking over the software since my team is launching a website soon and the sound of vBulletin makes us cringe. I've been using vBulletin for an older website, I feel kind of like they've been painting over rust....

Anyway, I've been messing around with the demo trying to accomplish the task with my limited coding skills. As long as it can be done I'll seek out the details once I'm actually setting the software up. Thanks!

Here's a start.

Edit the message template and wrap the user block in a conditional statement:
Code:
<xen:if is="{$post.position} != 0">
    <xen:include template="message_user_info">
        <xen:map from="$message" to="$user" />
    </xen:include>
</xen:if>
The same can be done for the public and private controls and the rest is just styling, which can again be done with a conditional.

I'm wondering if it's possible to set up a thread so that the first post has no user shown for the post or even a column for the userbox/info.
Essentially a "page" that can be responded to with posts.
I guess a better example would be like a Wordpress page with comments below. How would I go about doing this?
Love this idea.
XenPorta can style a thread to look like you want.
It styles the first post to look like an article and the other posts to be comments.
example - 8wayrun.
Jaxel styles all the posts in this forum http://8wayrun.com/forums/news-announcements.78/ to look like that.
Cool eh ?
I guess one question would be could you do this style a specific forum to individual threads ?

Can you tell me what you are trying to do ?
A wiki ?

Looooooong story.

I run a website right now, called RCPowers.com. We put all of our products on the forum! It allows people to comment directly on what they see and like...:
http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showthread.php?6006

I really like this concept and it has served us well, but we are starting a new business that will be using the forum software in the same way, but I hate vBulletin and decided for our next business I would *try* to find superior software to use in the place of vBulletin, and I have found it!

At this moment, I'm in the stages of research, just looking to make sure the software is capable of everything I'm going to ask of it and more without running into limitations like so many other programs offer me. While I was planning out our product pages, I realized that the pages would look goofy justified partly to the right with a "poster", much less natural than the vBulletin setup, so I am making sure the software will work in the nature I expect it to. Fun stuff. :)

You do know about xenforo pages ?
They are cool, but with limitations. Let me know if you have questions.
PM me if you want Re: what you are trying to accomplish.

I looked into the Pages function, from what I could tell you can't comment on them just like threads, otherwise that would be just as possible.

How would I make a conditional statement that allows the function to work with only a single user, or if that's not an option then in a specific section of the forum.

More specifically, only a single user has their left bar info removed from ALL of their posts?

Cool site !
Since all your products are in one forum ... you can just use XenPorta to style the posts in your forum to look like Articles + Comments (ie. not a thread + replies)

I like your focused home page. Kudos for not getting vB suite which is a major fail.
I think you would benefit from a Blog as well, where you post some key articles about your site. Either use XenPorta or Wordpress. Xenforo has an excellent Wordpress integration - style + login !
vBulletin 4 sucks so bad. It's antiquated spaghetti code with lipstick on. It's also run by a Mega Corporation with little vision.

Your users will love Xenforo's LIKE + Alerts.

You know forum software ... so you'll surely love the new Notices. Watch the video.

I suspect you'll see that Xenforo is a perfect fit for you.

How would I make a conditional statement that allows the function to work with only a single user, or if that's not an option then in a specific section of the forum.
which function? something like applying brogans conditionals only within specific subforums?

Code:
<xen:if is="in_array({$forum.node_id}, array(4,8,10))">
<div class="some_css_here">
brogans code or whatever here
</div>
</xen:if>
4,8,10,etc would be replaced with the relevant forum ids.
what you are wanting to do could indeed be done pretty smartly with simple template conditionals and styling

I looked into the Pages function, from what I could tell you can't comment on them just like threads, otherwise that would be just as possible.
Pages won't work for you. Was that my posts you read about no Comments in Pages [heh] ?

What you want is to use XenPorta with the Styling option for the entire forum. It'll make the Articles + Comments appearance you want.

More specifically, only a single user has their left bar info removed from ALL of their posts?
I think that would be very easy. You would tweak Jaxel's XenPorta styling to make the first post look as you want. I'd be lazy and pay Jaxel to do it. I wonder if he would like the idea and make it the default ?

Another cool thing for you might be to have a Tab called Products which would link to your Products forum.
Either use this ...
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenfarjad-forum-index-in-pages.18176/
or probably this would be better.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/nodes-as-tabs-with-tab-selection.23295/ [Jake Bunce made this you'll probably remember him from vB]

or maybe
i reckon the best extra tabs, in fact made for this very thing:
http://xenfans.com/threads/xenfans-com-extra-tabs.1435/

:)

Alright guys, I'm actually in the process of setting up my website, and it looks like xenporta doesn't have the tools I'm looking for.

Does anyone know of a conditional statement that will cause the message_user_info of a single user to be hidden from everyone.

I don't need anything as thorough and complex as XenPorta and wordpress also adds a level of complexity I'm not happy with. Using strategically placed xen:if statements I was able to get the desired result. Thanks for all the help!

Top Bottom