Lack of interest Usergroups [users who didn't activate e-mail]

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Shelley

As stated in this post (part of the thread) I happen to bump into.

I'd like to see a new group added to the core for those users that didn't activate their e-mail and are then transferred into a "awaiting email activation group". In the past I applied a special markup for this group to see who hadn't activated.

Thanks

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Where would this markup show? Generally speaking, these users can't post and they don't show up on various lists (to non-admins).

We intentionally only give them permissions for the guest group, as it simplifies permission management significantly; adding a user group for that would effectively undo all of that.

Where would this markup show? Generally speaking, these users can't post and they don't show up on various lists (to non-admins).

We intentionally only give them permissions for the guest group, as it simplifies permission management significantly; adding a user group for that would effectively undo all of that.

I created a unique markup (they showed up in orange in the user_online list) for users awaiting e-mail activation because it showed me those that are either spammers, or people who just couldn't be bothered to finish up registering which allowed me to see who to prune from my member base (which I did on a regular basis). It's primary function was to catch mainly spammers and then remove them periodically because they resided in their own group (which I allowed less permissions than guests).

the fact that we can't tell who completed their registration I feel bloats an admins member base where if the people that didn't finish up their registration th option is there to delete them and more importantly (using the usergroup css) apply a special markup showing right off the bat that they didn't activate that e-mail.

Looking forward to the future, and I'm sure notices are going to be introduced is that I also used notices to announce to users awaiting e-mail activation that they should complete their registration and activate their account as it will be pruned on date X. This would not work out well if that notice displayed to guests as this could send the wrong signal out when the e-mail activate group should be the only people seeing such notices. Mainly most people in the past that didn't activate where spammers and were easily highlighted to prune.

Attachments

• activation-group.webp
    activation-group.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 30
Interesting subject matter in your attached file. lol

Relevant to this suggestion I'm making. I happened to browse a site I used to admin at and the style I created for that site still had the user awaiting email markup on the style I created which is relelevent to this suggestion.

As a side-note to this idea of identifying registered users who haven't yet validated - can you use this criteria in Notices to display some instructions click the link in the activation email?

As a side-note to this idea of identifying registered users who haven't yet validated - can you use this criteria in Notices to display some instructions click the link in the activation email?
They automatically get a notice telling them that they need to confirm their account until it's confirmed.

I do like the functionality of XenUtiles, at which users will get a reminder e-mail after a certain time (e.g. after 14 days of signing up).
So they will get an e-mail in order to confirm their registration. If they do not confirm, their account will get deleted.
This is very useful as you will not have all that users in your ACP who did not even confirm their registration.

Do we have this in XF 1.1 ?

so how to send a "reminder e-mail" to all the users who have not confirmed their account yet ?
Doing it manually on a per user basis, not able to do it automatically after a certain amount of time?

I think that would be valid and worthy feature.

You can send a single email to all unconfirmed accounts.

I do it once a month on the 21st and then delete them at the end of the month if they are still unconfirmed.

Is it possible to change the default usergroup for new registrations (say to a new group you create - Validating) and then use a promotion for "on validation move them to Registered"?

You can send a single email to all unconfirmed accounts.

I do it once a month on the 21st and then delete them at the end of the month if they are still unconfirmed.

Does what you're talking about resend the confirmation code to all unconfirmed accounts? If so, how do you do it?

Top Bottom