XF 1.5 Usergroup promotion question

Escobar

So i have not been using usergroup promo's for a while now and i complete forgot how they work. I have read the docu but also no luck.

Basically all users who did not post for x days should be demoted back to the base group (which cannot see anything) so i hit the checkbox user did not post for x days and set the days then i am at criteria. it has two boxes "User is a member of" and "user is not a member of"

so am i right that i select the usergroups i want this promo to be active on in user is a member of and the ones i do not want this promo to be active on in "user is not a member of" ?

Or is the user is not a member of field for removing old usergroups?

And is there a way to remove one secondary group for a selected usergroup? For example beginner has two usergroups beginner and noob is there a way to check every beginner if they still have usergroup noob if yes remove noob?

so i hit the checkbox user did not post for x days and set the days then i am at criteria.

I don't see this option. But I think you would want the opposite, ie if there is a criteria "user posted ion the last x days" they would be promoted to a group, then if they don't post for those number of days they get automatically demoted.

However I cannot find either of those criteria

I don't see this option. But I think you would want the opposite, ie if there is a criteria "user posted ion the last x days" they would be promoted to a group, then if they don't post for those number of days they get automatically demoted.

However I cannot find either of those criteria
I added these extra options with a addon. And i set promo active user getting upgraded to read only besides admin and moderating if thet did not posted anything for x amount of days

I added these extra options with a addon.
Would have been useful to know!
And i set promo active user getting upgraded to read only besides admin and moderating if thet did not posted anything for x amount of days
OK, well as I said maybe it's best to do it the other way round as it's dynamic state.

If they have posted in the last x days they get the upgrade from read only user group to a group they permissions to can rely . Then if/when they don't post they would automatically lose the promoted group and go back to read only

Would have been useful to know!

OK, well as I said maybe it's best to do it the other way round as it's dynamic state.

If they have posted in the last x days they get the upgrade from read only user group to a group they permissions to can rely . Then if/when they don't post they would automatically lose the promoted group and go back to read only
Problem is that would not work with my setup as they apply for each rank. When they turn out to be inactive they should be demoted back to read only

The problem he has is there is no "user has posted x messages in x days" or "user has not posted in x days" criteria in XenForo itself. So, a user can't be promoted or demoted based on that criteria. It would require a totally new add-on to do what he wants.

He's assigning the "upgraded" user group using my Advanced Application Forms add-on, and he wants to "demote" them when their activity stops. That's not possible from the forms system or any other add-on I know of. But one might exist that I haven't seen or paid attention to.

But if it does exist it would have to add the "user has posted x messages in x days" and/or "user has not posted in x days" criteria.

He's assigning the "upgraded" user group using my Advanced Application Forms add-on, and he wants to "demote" them when their activity stops. That's not possible from the forms system or any other add-on I know of. But one might exist that I haven't seen or paid attention to.

But if it does exist it would have to add the "user has posted x messages in x days" and/or "user has not posted in x days" criteria.
This but also when your addon assigns the upgraded group it will have two secondary groups as it does not remove the one before this mixing the perms resulting in they cannot see anything even with the upgrade. So i gotta get this secondary group removed after your system upgraded the user.

My site is like.

Guests/Unregistered (Cannot see anything)
Registered automatically gets a second group assigned called applicant (Can view application section) after applying user gets auto promoted based on poll with your app system. leaving the person with two secondary groups. applicant and full member. And i have to find a way to remove applicant when then user is full member

As I said, that would require a totally different add-on that allows for removing a user group based on a given criteria and is beyond what the forms system does.

But, all you really need to do is not use the second group (applicant). Then you just have the problem of removing the "full member" group the way you want (which still requires a different add-on).

So you end up with...
Registered (can view forms, and not view whatever the applicant can't) (no need for applicant group since every registered user is an applicant already)
Full member (can view whatever they can now, can't view forms)

Last edited:
As I said, that would require a totally different add-on that allows for removing a user group based on a given criteria and is beyond what the forms system does.

But, all you really need to do is not use the second group (applicant). Then you just have the problem of removing the "full member" group the way you want (which still requires a different add-on).

So you end up with...
Registered (can view forms, and not view whatever the applicant can't) (no need for applicant group since every registered user is an applicant already)
Full member (can view whatever they can now, can't view forms)
Thats the problem i would have to redo the whole setup and aint worth it i was hoping the user promos could remove these groups it must be possible i am sure. The problem would also be solved if your addon would remove all secondary groups than add the promotion one.

Thats the problem i would have to redo the whole setup and aint worth it i was hoping the user promos could remove these groups it must be possible i am sure. The problem would also be solved if your addon would remove all secondary groups than add the promotion one.
Unfortunately the built in promotion system isn't intended to remove user groups, so that's not possible using it. That would require an add-on.

And that is beyond the scope of my add-on and it isn't what the add-on is intended to do. It's intended to add a user group, not remove any.

Unfortunately the built in promotion system isn't intended to remove user groups, so that's not possible using it. That would require an add-on.

And that is beyond the scope of my add-on and it isn't what the add-on is intended to do. It's intended to add a user group, not remove any.
isnt it intended to upgrade? When upgrading all other groups should be removed right? But maybe its doable with user group promo i hope a user group promo expert is able to help me

isnt it intended to upgrade? When upgrading all other groups should be removed right? But maybe its doable with user group promo i hope a user group promo expert is able to help me
I didn't say that. I said it's not intended to remove user groups. Meaning, you can't use the upgrade system to exclusively remove a user group. That's not an upgrade (add user group), it's a downgrade (remove user group).

If you notice, in the promotion system it asks what user group to ADD. It doesn't ask anything about which user group to REMOVE. ;)

Last edited:
I didn't say that. I said it's not intended to remove user groups. Meaning, you can't use the upgrade system to exclusively remove a user group. That's not an upgrade (add user group), it's a downgrade (remove user group).

If you notice, in the promotion system it asks what user group to ADD. It doesn't ask anything about which user group to REMOVE. ;)
Alright, I just hope a user promo expert has some free time to help me :)

Top Bottom