XF 1.5 Usergroup permissions question

AntonyF

Hello. I seem to have hit an impasse - your help would be appreciate if I'm missing a way to achieve this.

We have a number of ranks, and access to forums is gained then lost depending on that rank. So level 2 gets forum 2, but when you go up to level 3 you get forum 3 but lose 2. It's a popular feature.

That wasn't an issue with vBulletin as I could remove people from usergroups - however I am finding I'm a bit stuck as removing access is difficult.

For example if I have grant on level 2 and revoke on level 3, grant remains because of the hierachy so even when they are in group 3 they retain access to group 2.

I can't use never however - because just to complicate matters there is a group that has access to all forums.

Is there any way to achieve what I want?

Thanks

Last edited:
To start, are your user groups configured properly? Is everyone's primary user group Registered? That will make it much easier to set this up.

To make sure I understand, you want to allow user group A to view forum A, but disallow user group B from viewing forum A?

You can do this one of two ways:
  • Make forum A private and explicitly allow access to user group A.
  • Set the view permission to Allow for user group A and Not Set (No) for user group B.

I goofed up earlier.

You can do this one of two ways:
  • Make forum A private and explicitly allow access to user group A.
  • Set the view permission to Allow for user group A and Not Set (No) for user group B.

In regard to the second option, Revoke for user group B, not Not Set (No). Also, by setting a node as private, only those user groups with an explicit Allow will have access.

I don't think that will ever work... because in the scenario of 'additional group 2' saying you can't have access and the third additional group saying you can, it would have no way to know what takes precedence.

I think this is the key:
https://xenforo.com/community/threa...move-user-from-user-groups.84439/#post-839755

" I hadn't realised that promotions only applied whilst the criteria were met (and were removed once the criteria no longer applied)."

That's going to do it for me I think, as it's all based upon user post count... so I can just put in a 'greater than' post count criteria, and that will effectively remove them from the old group. So XenForo does have the ability to remove people from groups, of sorts...

Time to go test this.

Success! Thanks both. But that sorted it. I am removing them from the old group then adding them to the new one, which then works fine.

I was distracted by the topic "User Group Promotions: Remove user from user groups ..." and the status "not planned". I was thinking once a person is added to a group that's that.. they are permanently there. However that's not the case... you can remove people from user groups, the promotion logic will assess whether they are meant to be there and remove them if not. So that's fine for my use.

Top Bottom