User upgrades and new EU VAT regulation re: digital services

So to summarise one specific case:

A .pdf document sent in an automatic email is covered.
A .pdf document sent in a manual email isn't covered.
A link to a .pdf document sent in a manual email is covered.

Absolute madness!

Fact is:

For foreign (non-EU) companies and sellers, it is not enforceable. Most won't comply (as they don't already). If they want to comply, the same changes apply at 1/1/15 as for all other sellers (see below).

For EU companies and sellers this is only a small change, since you are already forced to charge VAT to all european customers. Until 21/31/14 you have to charge the VAT amount of your (the sellers) home country. After 1/1/15 you have to charge the VAT amount of the home country of the buyer (you have to check at least his ip location).

It is more of a change for small sellers who are currently not forced to charge VAT. They need to charge VAT to buyers from foreign EU countries in the future. This is handled differently in each EU country.

If I were you, I would continue to ignore this. This regulation (collect tax from europeans) was in place since years already. The only thing that changes 1/1/15 is that you should collect different tax amounts.

The only thing that may happen if you really collect taxes is that your european customers will buy at another store in the us which does not collect taxes. As said: Most don't (even if they should since years).

Well before I wasn't ignoring it... I was just under the threshold. Now it seems as if there is no threshold and if it's enforceable I'm not trying to deal with this headache.

I think until i get my orders from my own countries Tax Mafia ill not concern myself with this to much..

Well before I wasn't ignoring it... I was just under the threshold. Now it seems as if there is no threshold and if it's enforceable I'm not trying to deal with this headache.

There is and was no threshold for US sellers to charge tax to european customer.

You would have been required (by european law only) since some years to register and open a tax account at any european tax office and charge the VAT amount of that country to your customers.

i suppose your right.. Im sure most that are effected by this have already made the necessary arrangements.. Ive known about this for weeks but since i didnt realize it effected me i guess it all seems a bit sudden somewhat like brogan mentioned on page one..

The more I read this:
"Do you supply digital services broadcasting, telecommunications or e services, for example video on demand, downloaded apps, music downloads, gaming, e books, anti virus software or online auctions where the service is automated? (Merely communicating by email and sending attachments does not constitute Digital Services)"
The more I'm convinced forum user upgrades don't apply as it's just additional permissions mostly, not 'e-services' as such.

But then there's this:
Link to online content or download sent by manual e-mail

So if your user upgrades are tied to accessing content such as resources, add-ons, or in my case, data, then they would apply.

Of course, ignorance of the rules and what is and isn't covered is no excuse as far as the tax man is concerned.

lol.

*Demands refund from @Chris D for the product manager*

Could he just program a tweak that adds lots of 'Send update' buttons next to a list of all the users who buy a product. Then every time the creator wants to send out an update they can brows through a list and 'manually' click each user to distribute it?

Might be a bit tedious for thousands of customers, but could work for a small amount.

Could he just program a tweak that adds lots of 'Send update' buttons next to a list of all the users who buy a product. Then every time the creator wants to send out an update they can brows through a list and 'manually' click each user to distribute it?

Might be a bit tedious for thousands of customers, but could work for a small amount.
I was just kidding and I'm sure he knows that. I don't know if he's interested in making that change but that's actually what I'm likely to do. I'm pretty sure I'm going to modify my installation of the product manager to disallow downloading the file from there, and make it so I can click something to email the attachment to each person just as you mentioned. If Chris chooses to do it, I wouldn't mind, but I think that's the best solution.

We already modified the Product Manager to add VAT for european customers according to their ip location.

Regarding this:
Link to online content or download sent by manual e-mail

User upgrades don't involve an email sent by the site. The only email involved is the receipt/transaction email sent by PayPal, but that doesn't relate to any form of link to the "online content". The software just automatically upgrades the account.

So that being the case, I'm just going to ignore this ridiculous bit of legislation as far as user upgrades are concerned.

Top Bottom