XF 1.4 User upgrade - double payment - urgent advice required pls.

rwm1962

I've had a user manage to take out the same upgrade package twice virtually simultaneously. Of course I will be refunding one of the payments & letting them know.

How does this happen?

The 'Subscribe' button changes to a 'Cancel Subscription' once a subscription is taken out.

I'm planning on refunding & cancelling the 2nd subscription via my Paypal dashboard.

Will this have any implications for his remaining subscription on renewal?

Thanks

I've never heard of anything like this happening, so I'm not sure how the payment could have been taken twice (without actually checking out on PayPal twice). Can you confirm whether the subscription expiry date is double what it should be?

A refund will downgrade them if it's active as this isn't an expected situation, though you should be able to manually upgrade the user via the admin control panel and that should work as expected going forward.

38 seconds apart according to the transaction log. I'm guessing a lag on the server & they clicked the button twice?

The expiry date is double - 24 months! Didn't spot that. Will cancelling the later sub knock that down to 12 months? I could refund by way of a payment rather than from the transaction itself - so it doesn't downgrade them, maybe?

If I did refund via their payment & then manually upgrade them, they would need to resubscribe in 12 months I believe as the renewal link with paypal will be broken?

Will cancelling the later sub knock that down to 12 months?
In this case, no. Since we don't support what's happened, a refund is treated as ending the upgrade and will simply downgrade the user.

I could refund by way of a payment rather than from the transaction itself - so it doesn't downgrade them, maybe?
If it's a recurring subscription, this will probably not stop the next payment from being taken, which means two payments would probably be taken.

If I did refund via their payment & then manually upgrade them, they would need to resubscribe in 12 months I believe as the renewal link with paypal will be broken?
It should actually be ok because there is a valid payment on record, but another approach would be to refund/cancel both subscriptions and have them repurchase.

Ok - I cancelled their 2nd subscription & refunded. It lookslike the remaining sub will renew. As you warned they have been downgraded. I have upgraded them to subscriber group via the ACP.

If they cancel their subscription so it doesn't renew will they be downgraded now their upgrade is manual?

I do have an add on that automatically downgrades on a given date but I don't want to put him in that in case it messes with the paypal renewal.

I only use that for members who were subscribers on the old site so they have their benefits for the remainder of their term before having to manually resubscribe.

Mny thanks.

I have upgraded them to subscriber group via the ACP.
Do you mean you've modified their group manually? If so, that's not what I was referring to. In the user upgrade system, there's an actual link called "manually upgrade user". Use that and set the expiration date until when it's supposed to be (or perhaps one day later, just to be sure).

I'm struggling with that. Is it on 1.4? I was actually looking for that functionalty outside of this issue but couldn't find it.

Nearest I can find is this. I already had manual subscribers set up but it give no option for end dates. That's why I have Promotion End Dates by Waindigo installed

upload_2015-7-16_11-20-9.webp

upload_2015-7-16_11-23-29.webp

With add-on
upload_2015-7-16_11-27-19.webp

It's under User Upgrades

upload_2015-7-16_11-35-35.webp

On the User Upgrades page, click on the controls next to a user upgrade and you can see the manually upgrade user option there

upload_2015-7-16_11-36-48.webp

Then just specify the user you are manually upgrading and when you want the manual upgrade to end.

Top Bottom