XF 1.5 User Promotions - Automatically Remove Users When?

ProCom

I LOVE the automatic user group promotions feature built into XF!

I'd really like to use this feature to encourage users to maintain certain behavior. For example, I'd like to use these two in combination to reward users that meet this criteria:
  • User has posted at least 500 times in the last 30 days.
  • User likes to messages ratio is at least .15
It's obvious to me that the automatic promotion will kick in once the member hits those two requirements, but obviously those requirements are fluid / dynamic and not incrementally growing, like total posts, total likes, etc.

QUESTIONS: Let's say I setup those criteria above and a member achieves the promotion requirements. Then a week later the member's post counts and/or ratio drops.
  1. Once the member's level(s) drop below the criteria requirements, are they automatically dropped out of the promotion?
  2. If "yes", when / how often does this happen?
  3. If "no", is there a way to have it function in a way to drop the user from the group every x days?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
The first of your criteria is from an add-on.

If a user no longer meets a promotion requirements, they will be removed from the user group (assuming the user group was added as part of the promotion). Note that this will only happen to recently active members. For those who aren't recently active, it will kick in when they next visit the forums.

Brilliant, thanks @Martok !

So, to clarify, let's say a member is actively posting every 10 minutes, then they fall out of the promotion requirements. They are instantly removed from the group since they are active (vs. it being a cron or similar)?

(assuming the user group was added as part of the promotion)
I'm glad you mentioned this! We manually move some members into this group, so it's good to know the removal from the group is only associated with the promotion! I'm assuming this is true with user upgrades into the same group too? For example: A member pays (upgrades) to be in the group and ALSO meets the promotion requirements for the group. Even if they fall out of the promotion requirements, they will stay in the group because of the upgrade. Does that sound correct?

So, to clarify, let's say a member is actively posting every 10 minutes, then they fall out of the promotion requirements. They are instantly removed from the group since they are active (vs. it being a cron or similar)?
It's not instant, it's when the user group promotion cron runs (which is once per hour) if they are currently on the forum when they suddenly no longer meet the criteria. Chances are though they'll no longer meet the criteria when they aren't on the forum and so when they next visit, the cron will have run and they will be removed from the user group.

I'm glad you mentioned this! We manually move some members into this group, so it's good to know the removal from the group is only associated with the promotion! I'm assuming this is true with user upgrades into the same group too? For example: A member pays (upgrades) to be in the group and ALSO meets the promotion requirements for the group. Even if they fall out of the promotion requirements, they will stay in the group because of the upgrade. Does that sound correct?
If you are manually adding people to the group then they will remain there until you remove them. However I would suggest that, if possible, you look at setting up an automatic promotion via the paid upgrades system as that will save you manually doing these upgrades and will automatically remove people once their subscription expires (assuming they don't meet the 'standard' criteria that non-payers have to meet).

best.answers.ever.

I really appreciate these answers @Martok !

However I would suggest that, if possible, you look at setting up an automatic promotion via the paid upgrades system as that will save you manually doing these upgrades

Yes, 100% agree! It's tricky because we put people into the same group (a membership upgrade with no advertising) for a bunch of reasons and 3 main ways:
  1. Spot Awards (contest winners, or just because someone is awesome): We do these manually
  2. Paid User Upgrades: Automatic using XF's built in system tied to Paypal
  3. User Promotions (when a member meets certain performance requirements, like xy,000 posts, etc.): Automatic using XF's system
Thanks again for the amazing help!!!

Top Bottom