(User) Option to disable quick insert (on mobile)

Hello,

How about just giving it a different opacity value and moving it to the bottom right corner once you started typing? So the user can go back to it if needed, on mobile ofc.

regards,
Zentral

Hello,

How about just giving it a different opacity value and moving it to the bottom right corner once you started typing? So the user can go back to it if needed, on mobile ofc.

regards,
Zentral

Agree with this solution. Bottom right corner would keep it out of the way and won't be visually annoying.

Might be just me, but the quick insert + seems really annoying on mobile - it alwas seems get in the waq when writing longer replies als it does partly overlay existing text.
it's even better on desktop. if you click it, it will show you a set of icons, that are already available without this extra click.
what's going on? up arrow, that sometimes adds and sometimes deducts; plus icon, that didn't add anything, rather shows duplicates of already available ones...
someone who developed previous versions of xF left the team? global worming? anunnaki returned to earth?

Last edited:
There's no reason to remove it just because you personally don't like it. I'm sure there's other XF options you could enable but choose not to.
I'm just being realistic. There is a built, solid third party editor. You want xF team to build the whole system around it where admin can turn it on and users can turn it of? I don't think they are happy about such an idea. So I guess the options are to leave it as it is or to remove that floating plus icon.

The editor is actually great. Say for wordpress. But a forum is not a publishing house. What would happen to WatsUp or Viber if they would decide to use this editor? )

I'm just being realistic. There is a built, solid third party editor. You want xF team to build the whole system around it where admin can turn it on and users can turn it of? I don't think they are happy about such an idea. So I guess the options are to leave it as it is or to remove that floating plus icon.

The editor is actually great. Say for wordpress. But a forum is not a publishing house. What would happen to WatsUp or Viber if they would decide to use this editor? )
You seem to have a rigid idea of how forums are to be used and think that everyone will use them the same, but some people will get creative, especially with addons, writing full-length articles, using collaborative threads/articles, etc. Look, I don't know how much practical use I'll get out of the quick insert myself, I'm not going to be writing any long pieces here, but I am interested in trying it out at some point on my own forum. Until then, I won't be able to make any final decision for myself about whether it's actually useful and just takes some getting used to, or if I'd rather do away with it.

. You want xF team to build the whole system around it where admin can turn it on and users can turn it of? I don't think they are happy about such an idea. So I guess the options are to leave it as it is or to remove that floating plus icon.

Maybe this has some relevance?
As noted, there is an open suggestion regarding toggling it per user which may be more appropriate, though we are also revisiting the concept generally as there are a number of bugs in the base (Froala) implementation.

I agree--it should have a toggle to be able to turn it off. As I've said elsewhere, members on some of my forums skew older, and this extra button will at the very least confuse them if not annoy them if they keep hitting it on accident. Since anything we'd want is already on the toolbar, it's superfluous to us.

But I would think like any other bit we would like to remove, there is probably a way through a simple template edit or stylesheet change. (So yes, I'll be removing it that way, regardless of whether or not we can turn this on or off.)

Serious question. Who is using it? Maybe article writers, tutorial writers? I as the causal forum user have not used it once.

Right, but if the main purpose of the insert is to have common editing options always near at hand, then I would think having a sticky toolbar would accomplish the same thing, but with more options (the full toolbar) and without annoying people the way the current insert implementation seems to do. Just saying. :whistle:

Right, but if the main purpose of the insert is to have common editing options always near at hand
They seem to be formatting only there is no bold italic or color for example, and that's what I use most. I thought hey maybe this is cool I'm 40 lines down let me use bold, nope.

I would also like to turn it off. I suggest the option.

but if the main purpose of the insert is to have common editing options always near at hand, then I would think having a sticky toolbar would accomplish the same thing, but with more options

Floating tool bar, yup. That has the controls we use most.

Sticky, floating isn’t it more or less the same thing?

They seem to be formatting only there is no bold italic or color for example, and that's what I use most.

I would presume that, as with the main toolbar, it would be customisable

Top Bottom