XF 2.0 User moderation in XF2

walterw

I just upgraded my site to version 2. It seems to work fine, but I can't seem to find the operation to approve new members.

In 1.5 there was a display in the admin bar with the number of user accounts to approve, but now I can't seem to find that option.

The admin options I have at the moment are: approval queue, moderator, reports and admin. The approval queue only lists posts that need to be approved and not users.

In XF2 all what is waiting for approval ( Users + Threads/Posts) are combined in one page -> Approval queue.

I wish XF developers separate them again as it was in XF1.5. It was much easier to go over users who are waiting for approval.

I cannot find an approval queue anywhere? I know I remember seeing it during one of my test installs before I finally made the switch to XF with my live site, but now I cannot find ANY way to approve or even see pending accounts. I have to do a manual search of the user list for users waiting for approval. What am I missing?

I do have "enable manual approval" checked in the registration options.

I cannot find an approval queue anywhere? I know I remember seeing it during one of my test installs before I finally made the switch to XF with my live site, but now I cannot find ANY way to approve or even see pending accounts. I have to do a manual search of the user list for users waiting for approval. What am I missing?

I do have "enable manual approval" checked in the registration options.

Go here to make yourself a moderator:

Admin -> Groups & permissions -> Moderators -> Add moderator

@tourmeister

The system is pretty solid and logical.

Admin privileges (if you set someone as an admin) deal with the backend (Admin Control Panel) only.

Whereas moderator privileges deal with the frontend side of things for you to moderate the board.

If you want that a user has both privileges, you have to assign that user as an admin and mod.

@tourmeister

The system is pretty solid and logical.

Admin privileges (if you set someone as an admin) deal with the backend (Admin Control Panel) only.

Whereas moderator privileges deal with the frontend side of things.

If you want that a user has both privileges, you have to assign that user as an admin and mod.

I don't have a problem with it, it is just not what I was used to coming from vB 3.8.1. Now that you explain it, I agree that it makes sense. So basically, I only need me as an superadmin/supermoderator and I can make the others just supermoderators (I want those few people to have board wide powers on the front end). Then regular moderators would have node specific powers.

I don't have a problem with it, it is just not what I was used to coming from vB 3.8.1. Now that you explain it, I agree that it makes sense.
Yeah, it can be a little bit confusing and different coming from vB, specially everything around permissions (such as making someone a mod/admin or node/usergroup permissions).

So basically, I only need me as an superadmin/supermoderator and I can make the others just supermoderators (I want those few people to have board wide powers on the front end). Then regular moderators would have node specific powers.
Yep, exactly.

Okay, so a few quick questions about usergroups and secondary usergroups. I am sure the logic behind it all makes sense, but I am just not grasping how all the parts fit together...

Just so you know, I HAVE read the online XF manual. In fact, I have it pulled up right now and am looking at it. :)

We recommend that all users have the registered group as their primary user group -- including your moderators and administrators!

If that is the case, then why even have the ability to assign different primary user groups? :unsure:

I get idea of baseline permissions common to ALL users and then just tweaking a few for mods and admins. But, with regard to secondary user groups and admins/mods, is there a difference between making someone an admin/mod by just adding them to the secondary groups in their user account in the Admin CP or by adding them in the Groups & Permissions section of the Admin CP?

If that is the case, then why even have the ability to assign different primary user groups?

I am not sure myself. I think it is more like a legacy thing. People coming over from vB used to have a different approach to permissions. So it is like giving them an extra option to set it up the old way, which is not recommended.

I get idea of baseline permissions common to ALL users and then just tweaking a few for mods and admins.
Exactly, that is how it should be done always.

But, with regard to secondary user groups and admins/mods, is there a difference between making someone an admin/mod by just adding them to the secondary groups in their user account in the Admin CP or by adding them in the Groups & Permissions section of the Admin CP?
The latter one should redirect you to the first one, if I understood the question correctly. So it is the same thing.
Sorry understood the question wrong.

Last edited:
It's not the same thing.

Adding to a user group does not make someone an administrator or moderator - they have to be explicitly promoted to those roles.

Okay, so what is the point of those as secondary groups? Or should they not even exist as secondary groups? It kind of sounds like what you are saying is that there should really only be ONE user group, Registered Users. Then, the people that I want to have as Admins /Mods get added in the Groups & Permissions sections without there being any change in their secondary user group. Is this correct?

I have two nodes that I do NOT want non-admin or non-moderators to be able to view at all. One is a node where I discuss things with the other admins. The other is a moderator node where we discuss things with the moderators. If all of us are members of the Registered users only and we are promoted to admin/mod in the Groups & Permissions section, how do I control who can see and post in those two nodes if I am not using membership in a secondary group?

Okay, so here is what I am talking about.

I have a node called Server Administration. I created a user called Testmule.

As a basic Registered user, he cannot see the node at all.

I went to Groups & Permissions and added him as a supermoderator.

If I leave the secondary group of "administrative" unchecked, he cannot see or post in that node. This is what I expected.

If I check the box for "Administrative" in secondary groups, he can then see, post, and reply in that forum. This is what I expected.

If I go back to Groups & Permissions and add him to the Administrators and make him a Super Administrator, he can see, post, and reply. This is what I expected.

The problem is with my personal account, Tourmeister, which is a super administrator, supermoderator, AND is a member of the secondary user group "Administrative".

Tourmeister is able to see, post and reply to any EXISTING threads imported from vB and also any NEW threads I post with the Testmule account.

However, Tourmeister cannot reply to any NEW threads created by Tourmeister after the import. This is totally unexpected!

I even set node specific user permissions for Tourmeister and set EVERYTHING to yes.

I then used the permissions analyzer and entered Tourmeister as the user and Server Administration for the node.

Server Administration Permissions for Tourmeister

Permissions for TestMule Superadmin

For the life of me I cannot figure out why it works exactly as expected for the Testmule account but not for my Tourmeister account. Nor can I figure out why it matters whether I am replying to old threads imported from vB or new threads posted by TestMule versus a new thread posted by Tourmeister!?

Top Bottom