XF 1.1 User groups and permissions

Turt

Not a major issue, but I just wanted to clear some things up regarding user groups and their permissions. I have read the documentation but am having some sort of brain fart at the moment.

I have the following groups created:
  • Turtministrative
  • Moderative
  • Registered
  • Unregistered / Unconfirmed
  • Contributors
  • Part of History
  • Donators
  • Active Clients
Obviously the ones that I have created are the bottom four, but when I look at their permissions when creating the user group, they are all quick checked at 'Not Set (No)'. Do I have to manually change them to the same selection as what is done with Registered (which is what I want to do apart from a couple)? Reason I ask is because on this page under the 'Node Permission Terminology and Priority' section, it goes on about inheriting permissions from the parent. I know that these are for the nodes (categories and forums) though.
Am I able to select a user group to be the parent of other user groups or is the inheritance feature only available for the nodes?

I think I get it.

All members that register are added to the Registered group by default using the Registered group's permissions.
They will remain using those permissions unless I add another group to their account.
If I then add them to the Contributors group for example, they will then have the Registered group's permissions plus the Contributors group permissions.

Question, if I remove the user from the Registered group but keep them in the Contributors group, what will happen (assuming that the Contributors group has all the permissions set at 'Not Set (No)' as mentioned in my first post)?

Question, if I remove the user from the Registered group but keep them in the Contributors group, what will happen (assuming that the Contributors group has all the permissions set at 'Not Set (No)' as mentioned in my first post)?
There is no master inherited set of permissions, so if they're in a single group with everything set to Not Set (No), they will have no permissions.

Top Bottom