XF 1.4 User Group Ordering

Main Company

We employ quite a number of User Groups as most of our Nodes are Private and we setup User Groups to control access to these private Nodes. We typically name the user group with the same name as the node. So, for example Node = "Private Forum 1" has a correspondening User Group called "Private Forum 1". Hence, adding a user to the User Group = "Private Forum 1" gives that user access to the private node = "Private Forum 1"

The issue is that Nodes are sorted manually, via the hierarchy/order we create. On the other hand, User Groups are listed alphabetically, and can't be manually sorted. The end result is that the User Groups are in a different order than our Nodes. This would not be an issue other than we now have quite a few User Groups & Nodes on our forum.

So, when hoping to give a new user access to various private nodes, we must go through the User Group list, which is in a different order than the node list. This becomes confusing given the quantity we have.

So, my question is, is there any way to manually sort the User Group list so that it is organized in the same manner as our Node list? I guess I could develop a naming convention in our User Group list so that I can force this match-up, but I'm wonder if there is a simplier way.

Any thoughts?

There is no way of sorting user groups other than the default which is alphabetically.
@Brogan - We employ your method of creating User Groups to manage access to Private Nodes. So, in almost every case we have a Group for every node. Then by assign users to groups, we automatically give them access to nodes.

Not sure how many people are doing this. But would be great if in future releases there becomes a way to organize User Groups manually, so that we can keep User Groups & Nodes in the exact same order. Would make assigning Users to the appropriate User Groups way easier.

You can use the filter feature or CTRL+F to locate a specific user group so I doubt it would really save much time, if any.

In fact, if you have that many user groups, filtering would likely be quicker than scrolling and manually searching for it.

You can use the filter feature or CTRL+F to locate a specific user group so I doubt it would really save much time, if any.

In fact, if you have that many user groups, filtering would likely be quicker than scrolling and manually searching for it.
I can't do this in the "Edit User" tool (/admin.php?users) screen, can I?

What I need to be able to do is select the "Secondary Groups" a user is a member of, with the primary group = "registered user". It's this selection process that assigns access.

Is there another way that I'm missing?

Oh, yes, I guess I can use Ctlr-F to manually search for each item within the browser.

It's just that this becomes confusing if we are also using Categories. So, for example, we may need to give a user acess to a category AND the child forums in order for them to access that child forum. So, given that User Groups can't mimick the Node hierarchy, it can become extremely confusing.

So, not only should User Groups be able to be manually sorted, they need to be able to organized into a hierarchy that mimicks the node hierarchy.

Looks like I'm going to be looking for custom dev to achieve this goal.

Thanks.

Permissions filter down.

If you assign the main view permission to the category, it will apply to all child nodes.
I've got to experiment here, as I'm not sure I understand your suggestion.

FYI, in my case, I make the Category private and typically have several private forum nodes under each category. Just because I assign a user to a category does not mean I want them to have access to all child private forums.

So, I typically have to assign the user to both the category and relevant node associated groups.

Top Bottom