User friendly URL in posts?

Hmm.. so has this not been requested so far? I think this is a default feature in VB and considering we all come from there...

Hmm.. so has this not been requested so far? I think this is a default feature in VB and considering we all come from there...
How is this supposed to work? The editor would need to go and parse the entire page that was linked to find a title which may or may not exist and then make a guess as to what the user would want the link to be named. What if the user doesn't want the link to be named based on the page title? Like I may want to name your example above "check out this XF feature". You are assuming that the page title is part of the URL and for XF that just happens to be true but it's not universally the case.

By thats logic lets just add all that bloat from vBulletin and hope we still get a quality product!

By thats logic lets just add all that bloat from vBulletin and hope we still get a quality product!
The problem with logic is that you see what you want to see. The real interpretation would have been
"I think this is a default feature in VB and considering we all come from there... I assume this would have been requested so far."
But lets just get back to bashing vbulletin and anyone who comes in the way. :)

What if the user doesn't want the link to be named based on the page title? Like I may want to name your example above "check out this XF feature". You are assuming that the page title is part of the URL and for XF that just happens to be true but it's not universally the case.
No I am not assuming that, please check my example below. You can always enter the anchor text yourself even with that feature. If you don't add it then it gets added automatically. It is much more readable than a dumb link.

I would rather have option 1 than option 2 when I copy paste a link. I also do not want to go through the trouble of setting the anchor text manually when it can be done smartly. Incidentally that is how my forum members prefer it now, but you may disagree.
1. Adsense violation?
2. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1955332

No, that's not a default feature in vB, it's from vBSEO
Yeah probably thats what it is. My mistake.

But there are some scenarios, where this wont work;)
As logged in user i see on http://ragtek.org/xenforo/article/demo-article.1/ a nice title ( <title>Demo Article | ragtek's xenforo Add-ons</title> ) BUT as guest you will only see <title>Error | ragtek's xenforo Add-ons</title>
(and that's what the boards see)

Isn't this very ugly? (specially if john doe users starts to ask the board admins, why it's not working..)

I was thinking about this the other day. It should be possible to create a simple addon that queries the specified id and generates the link for it from the database. Something like [threadlink=16716] that would, for example, generate the link to this thread.

Top Bottom