User Banning

User Banning

• Automatically Ban IP address when banning user

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Just Ban the user (so they can sign back up and cause more problems)

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

DieselMinded

It always got me on vb , why would i want to ban a user and not there IP address? 9 times out of 10 the user will re-register and cause trouble then you have to re find him etc...

What about this.....
when a user is banned as a spammer his IP should automatically be loged back to xenforo for a spammer database in which webmasters can update there sites easily to include the new spammers ips.

So how do you ban users from your site?

Banning IP's are useless, because they are often cloaked and / or assigned simply by restarting your router (a few exceptions obviously for permanent IP's, cable modems, country blocking...).

The mod for multiple account detection has actually been more valuable to me than anything with IP's, as that puts it onto the computer the user is using, so if they register multiple accounts from the same computer, you can auto ban all of them, or manually ban as notified.

There are countries and open proxies that have users that post great content, I don't want to auto ban those because someone on tor or whatever was naughty. I hate the situation where one person ruins it for the rest.

What about this.....
when a user is banned as a spammer his IP should automatically be loged back to xenforo for a spammer database in which webmasters can update there sites easily to include the new spammers

IPB does just that. Would be nice to see xF offer a similar service.

when a user is banned as a spammer his IP should automatically be loged back to xenforo for a spammer database
As Anthony and Floris said:
Banning IP's are useless

There are countries and open proxies that have users that post great content, I don't want to auto ban those because someone on tor or whatever was naughty. I hate the situation where one person ruins it for the rest.

Takes 5 minutes and the user is back with another IP.
Check his IPs and ban the whole ranges.

Back with another IP from another country.
Ban again the whole range.

Repeat.

Slowly you are banning the whole Earth.

Some ISPs also have address 'pools' that are re-used as people connect/re-connet so there's always a risk you'll ban an innocent member in the process of trying to block a spammer/troll.

Vigilance is a key element of keeping repeat offenders at bay. We've got several recurring trolls at CC, but with over six years of practice in spotting them, we're getting pretty good at it now.

A reasonably large number of moderators also helps - more eyes means less chance of the spammers/trolls getting a decent foothold.

It's always going to be a problem; you can't have an open-to-the-public discussion arena, without also opening it to the undesirables too.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Top Bottom