XF 1.1 User Alerts behaviour

Recently the users on my forum (and myself too) encountered an odd behaviour of the user alerts.

The alerts doesn't show for older posts (and I mean some some weeks old), and start to show again only if the user visits the discussion again by his decision.

I think this isn't a real bug/glitch, but more a cache related behaviour.

How does the system works? And can I modify some parameters, to take in consideration older post for the alerts?

+As designed.

Alerts stop when you had an alert for a specific thread ... but didn't visit it. When there are more replies .... you don't get an alert because you ignored the first one !

== To get the alerts back ==
Click on watched threads. http://xenforo.com/community/watched/threads
click on all the threads in there.

The next time someone replies to a thread you are watching ... you'll get an alert.

I think this is a good thing, not a bad thing ... but it does surprise people. I was surprised by this behaviour ... but I do think it is the best way ... as the threads you no longer visit ... stop alerting you. You don't really ever have to unwatch a thread !

Hope that helps !!!

Thanks, these are very helpful informations! I thought it was designed specifically in this way, I just hadn't figured out the precise process. Now I can explain to the users how this works and add it to the guide of the forum.

One last question, if I visit a thread every time there's a notice, I will always continue to be updated on it, no matter how old it is, right?

Well the trouble with this is that people will read the full response that gets sent to them via email and not return back to the forum. So the site doesn't know that they "read" it and stops sending alerts. This was fine when the site just sends the alert without the full message and you have to click on it to read. But if you are sending the whole thing there is no reason to go back to the forum. It would be nice to be able to toggle this and make all responses be sent no matter if you "read" them or not. Is this possible?

Well the trouble with this is that people will read the full response that gets sent to them via email and not return back to the forum. So the site doesn't know that they "read" it and stops sending alerts. This was fine when the site just sends the alert without the full message and you have to click on it to read. But if you are sending the whole thing there is no reason to go back to the forum. It would be nice to be able to toggle this and make all responses be sent no matter if you "read" them or not. Is this possible?

It's not quite what you are wanting, but you can always exclude the message from the email so they have to visit the forum:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Email Options -> Include full message text in watched thread notification emails

Top Bottom