use xenforo credentials for web site authentication (or vice versa)?

bpdougd

Don't know if this is possible (or practical). I added a xenforo forum to an existing (just built, actually) web site. The site is open and requires no login or authentication. However, I am working on adding a classmates directory (it is a site for my HS graduating class.... 1966) and that is implemented via php and a mysql db. Given that folks might put some personal info into their bios and profiles and since I want to restrict what each user can do to creating, modifying and deleting their own record, some sort of authentication is needed. I have created a simple authentication system on my test version of the class directory but want to avoid having folks maintain two sets of credentials, one for the web site and one for the forum.

Is it possible to sync the two? If so, has anyone actually done this?

Thanks

You'll need to create an account in XenForo and set your authentication schema to be your custom stuff.

Either make your application use xenforo authentication, or vice-versa. The most suitable option depends on the situation

Literally syncing users (and adding an appropriate password hashing class to XF) is not a great approach, but may be the easiest

Either make your application use xenforo authentication, or vice-versa. The most suitable option depends on the situation

Literally syncing users (and adding an appropriate password hashing class to XF) is not a great approach, but may be the easiest

Thanks. Any pointers to how-to information or examples? I understand the concept of what you describe but doing it is beyond my modest coding abilities (for now... I'm working on this).

Top Bottom