1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of resource compared to IPB 4?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Sophie, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Sophie

Sophie Member

Hi all,

I might want to use my XF license (after renewal) to convert my forum from IPB 4.1.12 to XF. Anyone else who took this step and can say something on if XF handles resources on a server (CPU, memory, SQl, PHP) better than IPB? I am on a shared host.

Thanks!

Sophie

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Hello,

There isn't any general concerns over XF resource usage compared to other software. A lot of our customers use shared hosting without issue.

3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

XenForo is MUCH lighter than IPS is. I run both - luckily on a dedicated server - and you can tell that IPS is more resource intensive.

Apodictive likes this.
  4. Apodictive

Apodictive Member

Hi Sophie, I can't give you exact numbers on resource usage but I have been a staff member on several forums that ran XF on shared hosting without any hosting related issues whatsoever. I would just make sure that you aren't using one of the real cheap hosting providers/plans that only give you very low resources (RAM, CPU, etc.).

Most decent shared hosting providers should work fine till you start getting a huge amount of traffic or other have resource intensive issues not related to XF itself.

whynot likes this.
  5. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Such as a video gallery.

6. Sophie

Sophie Member

Thanks all, going to prepare the move and renew my license :D

Apodictive likes this.