Not planned Use imagemagick: convert

D.O.A.

I'v been doing some testing and I just have to ask why are we limited to imagick? It's slow and horrible, like a painful death for a cpu. Same server doing vbulletin/imagemagick tests converts gifs in seconds, xenforo/ imagick extension I'm looking at my watch. In the words of our sys admin "Why are you using that crap?". It's configured fine, It's just not good enough. I run a huge board, we use animated gifs heavily, so I consider this a big deal rather than small request as the membership complaints rack up.

Can you add a third option for a basic /usr/local/bin/convert, please. :cry:

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'v been doing some testing and I just have to ask why are we limited to imagick? It's slow and horrible, like a painful death for a cpu. Same server doing vbulletin/imagemagick tests converts gifs in seconds, xenforo/ imagick extension I'm looking at my watch. In the words of our sys admin "Why are you using that crap?". It's configured fine, It's just not good enough. I run a huge board, we use animated gifs heavily, so I consider this a big deal rather than small request as the membership complaints rack up.

Wow, that is news for me, I thought that imagick was just a proxy for the imagemagick that is installed in your server?
Time to do some research ...

After doing some research, the articles I found in Stack Overflow and some other places do not support that.

Here is a good one - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10567485/imagemagick-exec-and-convert
With which I also learnt that there is something called GraphicsMagick that is apparently faster than ImageMagick

First result is this micro-benchmark, though I would not read too much from it
http://valokuva.org/?p=40

Without doing my own benchmark, let's see what is happening here
Imagick IS a proxy for the ImageMagick that you have installed in your server. It is all the more obvious when you realize that you only have access to as much has been compiled for ImageMagick on the server

When you do exec->convert you are spawning a new process, and incurring in all the cost of that, the built in library has the chance to load in memory and make the conversion faster, this would be an argument for imagick to be faster. It also seems that the module is not contraint to the php memory limit

Is it that your vBulletin and XenForo are installed in the same server? Would you mind getting some numbers. It seems counter-intuitive that the wrapper would be so much slower, it might actually be the parameters that XenForo is passing to the binary

Thanks for that link and info, I'll read into this and I'll pass some results back here. And yes the same server ran both boards, although vb is just a old test board now that we've switched to xenforo. The same install of imagemagick/imagick was used, one thing I have to look into though it how it was installed as everything from php-fpm to imagick was though the remi repo for centos. There could be some conflict happening there, that is not throwing errors I can read about.

Top Bottom