XF 2.2 "Use Full Friendly URLs" somewhat working somewhat broken?

KensonPlays

So I looked on the "already asked" but I could not find an answer to this.

I'm trying to get "Full friendly URLs" enabled, but if I turn it on, it like, partially works, and partially doesn't? Not sure what's going on there.

I can navigate to the Forums, Media, Members tabs and stuff like that no issue. But if I try navigating FROM any page (media/members/whats new/etc) to an article thread that I have set as the "Home" button, it bugs out and simply adds the old format to it for some reason, like so:
ubs/index.php?home
I do have a route filter set to threads like so:
1690350247492.png

When I click the logo (customized default XF style), it does load the homepage just fine, zero issues. From Forums -> Home button on menu, it also loads fine. But when I try going from like XF media gallery, Members, "what's new," and similar, it does the weird "pagename/index.php?home" (like media/index.php?home)

What exactly is going on?

Here's the htaccess. Xenforo is installed in ROOT directory:
Code:
#    Mod_security can interfere with uploading of content such as attachments. If you
#    cannot attach files, remove the "#" from the lines below.
#<IfModule mod_security.c>
#    SecFilterEngine Off
#    SecFilterScanPOST Off
#</IfModule>

ErrorDocument 401 default
ErrorDocument 403 default
ErrorDocument 404 default
ErrorDocument 405 default
ErrorDocument 406 default
ErrorDocument 500 default
ErrorDocument 501 default
ErrorDocument 503 default

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On

#    If you are having problems with the rewrite rules, remove the "#" from the
    #    line that begins "RewriteBase" below. You will also have to change the path
    #    of the rewrite to reflect the path to your XenForo installation.
    #RewriteBase /xenforo
    RewriteBase /

#    This line may be needed to workaround HTTP Basic auth issues when using PHP as a CGI.
    #RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^(data/|js/|styles/|install/|favicon\.ico|crossdomain\.xml|robots\.txt) - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]
</IfModule>

Here's my "basic board options" section with the URLs
1690350570303.webp

It's been over 24 hours. Any ideas on how to fix this? I do want to enable the friendly URLS, since example.com/media looks better than example.com/index.php?media

Is your forum located in a /forum subdirectory and you are hosting something like Wordpress in your root? If so, I think you have to modify your rewritebase to reflect that, as / denotes for the root of the server.
If you don't have it in a /forum sub-directory off the root, then your Board URL setting is incorrect.
BTW, the only guaranteed way you will get official support is to submit a ticket... posts in the forum are user->user support with the rare drop-in of a developer.

Is your forum located in a /forum subdirectory and you are hosting something like Wordpress in your root? If so, I think you have to modify your rewritebase to reflect that, as / denotes for the root of the server.
If you don't have it in a /forum sub-directory off the root, then your Board URL setting is incorrect.
BTW, the only guaranteed way you will get official support is to submit a ticket... posts in the forum are user->user support with the rare drop-in of a developer.
Nope.
Here's the htaccess. Xenforo is installed in ROOT directory:
I don't have any other scripts running. JUST XenForo.

Edit: I changed board URL to / (root), but its doing the same thing. I am using an extension on my browser to add a 'dark mode' to the ACP.
1690478527965.png

I can navigate from homepage, or from forum index, to other pages like /media /whats-new /blogs, but going FROM any of those pages TO home is bugging out. threads/welcome-to-the-haven.126/ has a Route Filter to /home.

Last edited:
when you are using /forums what are you trying to do?
I don't think you can force it to a specific post.... you may be able to create a page and do that.
When you leave the index page route blank, does it work?

when you are using /forums what are you trying to do?
I don't think you can force it to a specific post.... you may be able to create a page and do that.
When you leave the index page route blank, does it work?
/forums leads to well, the forums.

I've tried with 'index page route' blank, as well as 'home page URL' and they both are broken. I tried it with 'home page url' blank, and with the page (non routed) both. For some reason, if I go to a page like /media, it adds "/pages/welcome" to the end of /media after navigating there. Not sure why.

--
Like my signature says, I can't do HTML to make a nicely laid out page. I can do extremely basic stuff like headings, links, paragraphs. That's about it. I can't align images or flow text around images the way I want.

So what I've done is use a thread with hidden elements (so it doesn't show reply box or postbit) so I can just simply use BBCode to align and lay out a page. So it does use threads.

Like my signature says, I can't do HTML to make a nicely laid out page.
You don't need to know HTML.

Compose the content in a thread, view the page source, copy and paste everything including and between the bbWrapper tags into the page node template, or a custom help page.

1690481750103.webp

The result.

1690481783469.webp

1690481763703.webp

Having said that, the thread content is really basic HTML, something most people can pick up within minutes.

You don't need to know HTML.

Compose the content in a thread, view the page source, copy and paste everything including and between the bbWrapper tags into the page node template, or a custom help page.

View attachment 289131

The result.

View attachment 289133

View attachment 289132

Having said that, the thread content is really basic HTML, something most people can pick up within minutes.

That one page is. But I will have pages in the future that I want to flow text around an image, have floating text to the side, etc.

Would that method still work with flowing text around an image in a bbcode thread? I do also have xon's advanced bbcode for 'float left' and 'float right.'

Well, that resolves the using threads as pages issue. But we still need to figure out why "full friendly URLs" isn't working properly.

Current settings:

1690483010443.png

After clicking the "Home" nav item a few times, this happens:

1690482995084.png

Ends up with "Oop! we ran into some problems" "The requested page could not be found."
There is no route filter set to /pages/welcome.

I guess you are wanting to force users to log in before they can see anything?
When I go to your index route of https://mesozoichaven.com/pages/welcome I am being given a login screen. If you are going to use a page node for a landing page, guests really need to be able to see it.
Also, try adding a trailing slash to your pages/welcome
This is what I have in mine, and I created a page node with the URL portion shown as portal

Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 2.50.49 PM.webp

if you go to https://astrowhat.com/pages/portal it will place you on the landing page.... the same page that you get when you go to the base domain.

I guess you are wanting to force users to log in before they can see anything?
When I go to your index route of https://mesozoichaven.com/pages/welcome I am being given a login screen. If you are going to use a page node for a landing page, guests really need to be able to see it.
Also, try adding a trailing slash to your pages/welcome
This is what I have in mine, and I created a page node with the URL portion shown as portal

View attachment 289141

if you go to https://astrowhat.com/pages/portal it will place you on the landing page.... the same page that you get when you go to the base domain.
No, I want pages visible to all, of course. It seems to have at least partially fixed it adding the /

Your page node is not visible to guests... that's why it's mandating registration... so you need to check your permissions for that page node.
Your About Us in the navbar gives the same issue.

Your page node is not visible to guests... that's why it's mandating registration... so you need to check your permissions for that page node.
Your About Us in the navbar gives the same issue.
Try now, I think I fixed it by changing the pages being nested under a "forum" node to a "category" but with "show in node list" turned off.

Works now for me..
You should be able to place them under a category... but not under a forum style node. You might be able to do it under another page node, but why other than to maybe keep them "clean" in the ACP display, but if you were going to do that, just have different categories set up, and the Display in nodelist unchecked.

Top Bottom