XF 1.5 Use a repository for development

Khriz

Hello, I am going to use a repository and work first on my local server, install it, after finishing my configuration I will deploy it to production, will I have a problem if I go to XenForo production already installed?

What problems could you have when using a repository like bitbucket?

Version control doesn't influence how your code works.

One thing to remember is to keep the database structure in sync (between test and production environment)

Hello, I am going to use a repository and work first on my local server, install it, after finishing my configuration I will deploy it to production, will I have a problem if I go to XenForo production already installed?

What problems could you have when using a repository like bitbucket?

So you're talking about using a repository to save the configuration point of view (ie XenForo settings) rather than your addon code?

That won't really work, since you currently cannot save or export the config for the forum to be able to reproduce the site on another server - not like you could on something like WordPress.

I keep all my addon files and my custom styles in version control, but the core install needs to be manually set up and managed across each server.

I keep all my addon files and my custom styles in version control, but the core install needs to be manually set up and managed across each server.

I just realized that practically everything is saved in the database, then how could you bring a repository control for the styles you modify and the plugins you develop or install? How do you do the deploy to production?

I just realized that practically everything is saved in the database, then how could you bring a repository control for the styles you modify and the plugins you develop or install? How do you do the deploy to production?

There is an export process for styles and for addon data.

The data is stored as xml files and you check those in to source control.

You then pull the updates to your production machine and import them.

For XF1.5, the import process uses the web interface (ie completely manual), but in XF2.0 there are CLI commands to do this for you, which can be automated if you use a deployment tool.

Top Bottom