UpVote/DownVote Tracking Log and Revert Within X Days

M@rc

Members receive no alerts of "upvotes" and "downvotes". That's perfectly fine to avoid our alerts from being flooded, but what if there is someone or a group of troublemakers who want to abuse the system on a specific forum they have a problem with?

No one is going to know if Lord Voldemort still has a grudge against Brogan. He then brings his crew to downvote all of Brogan's helpful answers in question threads and staff will never know since the posts are old and only receive traffic from search engines.

Since we don't have XF 2.2 admin access, I'm not sure if these features are possible, but I'll still suggest them in case.

I think in the Admin Panel -> Logs:

There should be a page where admins can track upvotes and downvotes. They should clearly see links to the posts, if the post was upvoted or downvoted, and the member who did it. It would help to have filter options on the page too (eg. filter by member username, upvotes, downvotes, and anything else that seems relevant).

Additionally, to make moderation easier to deal with troublemakers who abuse the system, I think there should be an option to delete upvotes/downvotes by specific members similar to how we can already do it with reactions: Admin Panel -> Remove Reactions -> Remove reactions within last X days.

Last edited:
Upvote 14
If you want a concrete example, I write for a story site that allows you to vote for stories using a 1-5 scale. Among other things, these scores are used for judging contests. Inevitably in almost every contest, some twit goes through downvoting all their rivals. The owner is quite aware of this and usually cleans things up pretty quickly. Not sure how she is catching them, but it has to be something like what you are proposing. I would say that I would make it something admins can turn on since some boards may prefer to be voting anonymous.

I chalk this up to the times. I mean, post something on YT and you may get downvoted 350 times. Are some of those trolls? Maybe. It is what it is.

I chalk this up to the times. I mean, post something on YT and you may get downvoted 350 times. Are some of those trolls? Maybe. It is what it is.
If that's the type of answer you'd provide to a complaint from me as a top contributor of your forum, I'd leave.

My wording is not composed as a response to a complainant so that is a straw man argument. The fact is, it is a sign of the times. And sure, we can have tools to combat it. I already voted for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom