XF 1.5 "Upload a File" button is missing from editor when editing an existing post.

Bill Stuntz

The "Upload a File" button is present when creating a new post, but is missing when editing an existing post.
I know.... All I have to do is click "More Options" to see the button. But I shouldn't HAVE to. It's not a "more option" - it's an essential tool when editing existing posts on our photo-heavy MB.

How can I make it visible in ALL incarnations of the edit window without having to select "more options"? I don't know why editing an existing post should have different buttons than creating a new post - or how it's done.

Last edited:
Default Style: EditPost.webp Custom Style: EditPostCustom.webp New Post: In-thread reply editor.webp
Only a new post has the "Upload a Photo or File" button. Editing an existing post doesn't.
I changed the wording of the "Upload a File" button because nearly ALL of our uploads are Photos. Many of our users don't understand that photos ARE files - so they ignore the button because it didn't SAY Photo, and can't figure out how to upload a photo. They're attracted to the Camera icon which doesn't help them at all, and the Mountain icon (which they don't recognize either) only lets them upload photos from external web sites.

Last edited:
The only in-built workaround would be to disable overlays in XF options completely which would take you directly to the full edit page, skipping the overlay..

Of course you'd lose all the other overlays..

However, editing or adding images to an existing post is far from intuitive. Having to go into the more options section isn't obvious and at least for me, took several minutes and attempts to work out.
Thanks, but I'm too new to XF to fully understand. We're in the process of converting from vBulletin to XF. Can the overlay settings be adjusted to display that button in the "Edit Post" version of the editor? At least one of our moderators had trouble figuring out how to insert a photo into an existing post. He said it took him several minutes to figure out that clicking "More Options" would let him do it. It's easy to do, and shouldn't be a problem... but you gotta KNOW the relatively obscure trick to be able to do it. A LOT of mechanical clock/watch lovers are essentially Luddites, and aren't very interested in learning how these new-fangled computers work. They NEED it to be as obvious as possible - and visible at all times. If they haven't done it since last week, they'll probably forget how.

Last edited:
Default Style: View attachment 151602 Custom Style: View attachment 151604 New Post: View attachment 151605
Only a new post has the "Upload a Photo or File" button. Editing an existing post doesn't.
I changed the wording of the "Upload a File" button because nearly ALL of our uploads are Photos. Many of our users don't understand that photos ARE files - so they ignore the button because it didn't SAY Photo, and can't figure out how to upload a photo. They're attracted to the Camera icon which doesn't help them at all, and the Mountain icon (which they don't recognize either) only lets them upload photos from external web sites.

Yes, it's quite unintuitive and clunky how xenforo handles this.

I have edited the embed image (mountain icon) overlay to help people understand.

SafariScreenshot004.webp

There is suggestion to include an upload image button in that overlay.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/include-upload-image-in-insert-image.73393/

To vote for that suggestion, add a like to the first post

Attachments

• SafariScreenshot004.webp
    SafariScreenshot004.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom