1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Upgrading XenForo in 5 minutes

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by MikeMpls, Jul 17, 2013.

1. MikeMpls

MikeMpls Well-Known Member

After having to rely on FTP to install & upgrade my forums, it was nice to find myself on a VPS with command-line access for the first time in years. Here are the step by step instructions for those who've forgotten or never knew how easy it could be.

Start with a couple notes:
    1. We will refer to sites account as "myacct" and to the site itself as "mysite".
    2. I have "root access" to the file system. If you have command-privileges without root access, your file-system references will start at a higher level in the file hierachy, rather than at /home/...
    3. The base directory for one of my forums is usually at "/home/myacct/public_html/"; your installation might be different
    The steps:

1. First download the update to your local computer.
    2. Change the file name to something easily typed but still recognizable, e.g. "mysite-120-rc1.zip"
    3. Upload the update file to your forum's home directory (/home/myacct/public_html). I use the Parallel Power Panel to do this; FTP will also work.
    4. Now fire up your command-line access (I use Putty) and log in
    5. cd /home/myacct/public_html
    6. If you have an old upload directory left over, delete it, typing carefully: rm -rf upload
    7. unzip mysite-120-rc1.zip
    8. cd upload
    9. Type carefully: /bin/cp -fr * ../
    10. cd ..
    11. Type carefully: rm -rf upload
    12. rm mysite-120-rc1.zip
    13. rm INSTALL-UPGRADE.txt
    14. Go to your web browser & execute the install script: www.mysite.xyz/install

I usually do steps 8-13 after step 14 to reduce the window in which the site might have "issues" due to the incomplete installation.
    maszd, Simon and DBA like this.
  2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Since you have root access, Why not upgrading your forum like:

php /home/YOUR-ACCOUNT/public_html/library/XenForo/Install/run-upgrade.php 
    Simon likes this.