XF 1.4 Upgrading to 1.5.8

denzil

Hello,

I'm interested in upgrading from 1.4.5 but wanted to ask if it's generally safe to upgrade live. What do most admins do in terms of upgrading? Do you guys test it on a staging environment first or just do it in production during non-peak hours? I personally prefer to follow best practices but I'm generally the main guy for doing upgrades. Currently there's no well laid out procedure for testing it on staging and then pushing it live. I imagine this is something we could test out (AWS or hosting provider) before releasing to the public.

What/how do you guys typically handle upgrades? Any insight would be extremely helpful and appreciated. :)

I would always recommend upgrading on a test/duplicate installation first.

You can set one up easily enough on the same server, or even locally.

Hello,

I'm interested in upgrading from 1.4.5 but wanted to ask if it's generally safe to upgrade live. What do most admins do in terms of upgrading? Do you guys test it on a staging environment first or just do it in production during non-peak hours? I personally prefer to follow best practices but I'm generally the main guy for doing upgrades. Currently there's no well laid out procedure for testing it on staging and then pushing it live. I imagine this is something we could test out (AWS or hosting provider) before releasing to the public.

What/how do you guys typically handle upgrades? Any insight would be extremely helpful and appreciated. :)
When we do our we give our members notice and try to do it at night when it's not as busy.

What Brogan said.

Upgrading on a test site (that's a duplicate of your live site) means if there are any issues you can see what they are and deal with them there first and then be prepared for this when upgrading the live site. In the event that there's a disaster that causes major issues (which is hopefully unlikely) then it's only on your test site and not affecting your live site.

Always take a backup (both the database and the file structure) before upgrading too so you have something to revert to if there are unforseen complications.

Top Bottom