Upgrading beta1 to beta2 doesn't work. Forum is stuck

Our forum seems to be stuck. Main page is disabled, admin CP says need to upgrade, the upgrade page says "No upgrade available" and has a "rebuild masterdata" button. When I click on that it "loads" for some 30 seconds then changes to "An error occurred. The request is being resubmitted."
Afterwards, it changes to a 500 internal server error.

What do I do??

I enabled debug mode, but no additional error was posted.
I also found a post that talked about modifying js/xenforo/cache_rebuild.js and increasing the timeout value for one of the variables. I did so, but nothing changes.
I still get the final 500 internal server error. How can I check what the error is? I looked in cpanel, but the error log does not provide any additional info regarding the 500 error.

The "No Upgrade Available" page means that the file version matches the current version of the forum. There must have been a problem with the file upload. I suggest you try uploading the beta2 files again.

It seems as though the forum was upgraded to beta2. Did it allow you to run the upgrade initially before these problems started happening? If so then were there any errors during that initial upgrade process?

Nope, the exact thing happened. I uploaded the files, went to forums/install which redirected to the upgrade page then the "request is being resubmitted" error came up and now im stuck.
:(
Reuploading files...hopefully that helps

Hmm. We really need to know the underlying error message.

You say it loads for about 30 seconds and then throws the generic error message. 30 seconds happens to be a common timeout for PHP scripts, so this might be a timeout problem.

To address a possible timeout problem you can ask your host to increase PHP's max_execution_time.

You can also try changing the max_execution_time yourself. These methods don't always work, but try adding this to your library/config.php file:

Code:
 ini_set('max_execution_time', 120);

Or add this to a .htaccess file on your server (only works on Apache servers):

Code:
 php_value max_execution_time 120

That didn't help. It's actually a bit less than 30 seconds. Maybe 15-20 before the first error comes up then another 10 and the page reloads.

No one else has had this problem? The site has been down since last night 10PM :(

I was looking at some of the other threads and found one where Mike suggested commenting out this line:
Code:
$this->_getPermissionModel()->rebuildPermissionCache();
from library/XenForo/DataWriter/PermissionGroup.php and that did the trick. Our forums are back to a normal state now.
I'll still look into obtaining the log files and posting here what exactly was causing the issue. Hopefully it will help someone in the future.

Thanks for your time Jake.
It's greatly appreciated.

- Nick

Top Bottom