Upgrades & Backups

hakuin

I have just confirmed that my host meets the requirements for installing Xen Foro. I started a demo and I think XenForo could be the forum software solution for me. I really hope it!

I have little experience in forum software, the only one I've tried so far is VBulletin 5 Connect, which I find very difficult to upgrade (it always broke when I did this) and other things that made me feel uncomfortable.

My intention is in no way to start a discussion xenforo vs vbulletin, I simply don't have the knowledge for such a thing (and not the wish either).

1. In vBulletin you are told that the usual typical backups performed via cpanel are not reliable enough and that you have to do them with ssh (or something like this). I have seen I can't learn doing backups via ssh now.

How are backups done in Xen Foro. Are the easy cpanel backups reliable enough?

2. I have read somewhere here in the forum that upgrading is easy with XenForo. Is this truly so?

3. This question is not very important, but now that I am at it...
Can you use your domain/URL without the www? InWordpress it redirects the www to no www without doing anything special.

4. One thing about the style. Can you choose to have the forum or subforum description under the forum title always visible. I have mostly seen that you have to put the cursor on the title to see it. I haven't found a way to change it in the demo back end. Maybe I didn't look harder enough?

I manage reasonable well with Wordpress and can do things like create mysql databases manually and installing Wordpress manually with ease using Filezila. I can transfer one website to another host with backupbuddy (although not always with ease in this case). That's about all the technical aspects I can handle.

I could spend more days with the demo, but there are things you simply don't see and I would like your opinion. I am dying to finally start my forum once and for all!

Thanks for your time :)

1) Not sure on backups. I think plenty of people still use cPanel backups. I guess doing cPanel backups is fine as long as you are checking them regularly. There's nothing worse than something going wrong and finding that your last 8 months backups are all garbage.

2) Yes, it really is. Some people sometimes take a bit longer to understand the process but really it is as easy as uploading the files and going to your install page.

3) Yeah this is a simple server configuration. It's not really built into the XenForo software, but it's very easy to add it into your .htacess file (someone can help you more when you need it).

4) This is available as a "Style Property" which is basically a checkbox in the Admin CP that disables the Tooltips to be shown.

Feel free to ask any further questions :)

1. In vBulletin you are told that the usual typical backups performed via cpanel are not reliable enough and that you have to do them with ssh (or something like this). I have seen I can't learn doing backups via ssh now.

How are backups done in Xen Foro. Are the easy cpanel backups reliable enough?

Don't rely on them.
Download and install MySQLDumper, it's working well.

2. I have read somewhere here in the forum that upgrading is easy with XenForo. Is this truly so?
It's true.

3. This question is not very important, but now that I am at it...
Can you use your domain/URL without the www? InWordpress it redirects the www to no www without doing anything special.
In cPanel you can set it up to work with and without "www".

I already bought and installed XenForo and I can see I have a lot to experiment with: backups and otherwise.

The installation process was pleasantly smooth!

I reckon the database is the most important part and for the second part, the root/home directory or whatever is called, a cpanel backup should be fine.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!

:cool: ;) (y)

Top Bottom