• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Upgraded to Beta 2? A few XenFans tips

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

I assume you used our previous tip to make a backup of your database and files from beta 1, before upgrading to beta 2. And our tip about how to upgrade to beta 2.

Now that you're done with that, here are some tips to consider:
  • Make a backup of the beta 2, so anything that goes wrong due to new plugins - you got something to revert to.
  • Increase performance, consider using APC.
  • Keep stability and performance where it should be, run optimize and repair on your database.
  • Increase security, change your admin password
  • Increase security, if you haven't already, put .htaccess file protection on admin.php
  • Increase security and performance, double check your config.php, making sure debug is turned off and if you use APC, that you've got it configured, pref. with a unique prefix.
  • Go through the plugins, test if they still work, disable them if they don't, and report back to the author. And see if there's an update for it already.
  • Additionally you can reconsider which plugins you still need, or really need.
I am sure there are more things you can do, but we're just in beta! And this is enough for some people to get started.

Get the most out of your XenForo as a fan! More details and full article here; http://xenfans.com/threads/upgraded-to-beta-2-a-few-xenfans-tips.146/

Installing APC wreaked some havoc with my Wordpress install

Cannot run code from this file in conjunction with non encoded files in...

I assume you used our previous tip to make a backup of your database and files from beta 1, before upgrading to beta 2. And our tip about how to upgrade to beta 2.

Now that you're done with that, here are some tips to consider:
  • Make a backup of the beta 2, so anything that goes wrong due to new plugins - you got something to revert to.

• Don´´t you mean beta 1 because if you make a abckup of beta 2 you can´´t revert.

Nice tips btw.

If you backup beta 1 before upgrade .. and then upgrade - and feel it went ok. Make a backup of beta 2.
If something goes wrong due to adding plugins now, etc .. you can revert to the beta 2 just after hte upgrade, instead of having to revert to beta 1, upgrade, start over ..

For the curious, I think this .htaccess file would protect JUST the admin.php file. AuthUserFile should point to whatever password file you're using. I haven't tried it in xenforo, but it should work.

This code should be copied and pasted into the existing .htaccess file in the root of your xenforo installation. This will force your browser to authenticate the admincp file, but you'll still need to enter your xenforo admin userid and password after authentication is successful.

Code:
<FilesMatch "admin.php">
 AuthName "Admins Only"
 AuthType Basic
 AuthUserFile /home/username/.htpasswd
 require valid-user
 </FilesMatch>

Top Bottom