upgrade to MariaDB 10.0 - yes/no?

SnoSheriff

My current server is running PHP 5.6.30 and MySQL 5.5.52 with cPanel

Server support informs me that MySQL will become MariaDB 10.0. Will this upgrade work on Xenforo? Should I upgrade to MariaDB 10.0 and why?

Not sure if they will support 10.1...

Will MariaDB 10 work automagically with my XF website? Or do I need to do anything? Will all my add-ons also work with MariaDB 10?

correct Server Support will upgrade the DB for me but I need to give them the "go ahead". That's why I'm asking here...

XF purchase page doesn't even list MariaDB :(. It only states MySQL: 5.0+

I can explain this a few ways and coming from me its all going be me being an ahole.

The guy who created MySQL had a couple of daughters. My and Maria. MySQL was sold to Oracle. MariaDB is a fork of it. Just like Percona Server. 10.0 is essentially a slightly altered version of 5.6 i think?

Dang! Slightly altered you say? LOL
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Server support informs me that MySQL will become MariaDB 10.0.
If your support is upgrading entire server DB's, the only question you really need to ask them before going ahead, is whether they are backing up databases prior to upgrading. If they have that, then all is well.
Will this upgrade work on Xenforo?
MariaDB is a drop-in replacement, totally interchangeable.
Should I upgrade to MariaDB 10.0 and why?
You should upgrade to MariaDB 10.1, actually. It has even better performance and stability.

MySQL is lacking behind nowadays, like above, Oracle bought it and now has stalled in relation to database technologies. MariaDB is simply a far more productive DB now, regular builds, updates, security, performance, so forth.

MariaDB is actively maintained -- MySQL is less actively maintained -- Percona is high performance MySQL which aligns with MySQL releases.

MariaDB now contains the high performance aspects that Percona pretty much wrote the book with. If you look at MariaDB vs MySQL benchmarking -- MariaDB kicks MySQL to the curb when using InnoDB tables with buffer pool. And I mean really boots its backside -- 100%+ gains in some benchmarking aspects. Google it to understand.

MariaDB is exactly the same as using MySQL.

My only recommendation is that if you're being upgraded to a DB that now supports full text indexing (being MariaDB 10.0.5 and up), convert any MyiSam tables you have to InnoDB engine type, and uncheck the delayed insert option in ACP options, as that is no longer needed if running all InnoDB -- table locking no longer an issue, as InnoDB locks at row level.

You should upgrade to MariaDB 10.1, actually. It has even better performance and stability.
Whilst a little naughty, and this statement was to be cautious and stick with stable versions, I actually use the latest 10.2 MariaDB nowadays, as it has some significant default changes, compression being one. Prior to, you had to configure such at build.

What is the latest MariaDB we can go to with XF?

I have MySQL 5.6, ancient! Looking to upgrade it to 8 or Maria DB. Thanks for any insight.

PS. Backup scripts can stay the same, and older backups should work, nothing in the tables changes right?

What is the latest MariaDB we can go to with XF?

I have MySQL 5.6, ancient! Looking to upgrade it to 8 or Maria DB. Thanks for any insight.

PS. Backup scripts can stay the same, and older backups should work, nothing in the tables changes right?

Top Bottom